Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

deer hindquarter

Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Spike

Default deer hindquarter

I am trying to smoke a deer hindquarter but some in my family don't like the gamey taste does anyone have a recipe to smoke and take out the gamey taste. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Bone it out and remove all the fat you can. Make a brine and soak your boneless roast in for 7 days. remove from brine and wash off excess salt vigourously I even soak the roast in clean water for 15 minutes or so. Remove from water and place on a rack to dry with a fan blowing on high. Once a layer of waxey skin forms on the outside of the roast place in pre heated smoker smoker set at 125 degrees and smoke with moist wood for 6 hours turning up temp about 10 degrees per hour cook until internal temp reaches 152 remove from smoker and let roast continue to cook on a sheet pan on the counter. Eat it hot or cold both are excellent. If you looking for a good brine mix go to my website www.FriscoSpices.Com and use the complete cure with sugar. We sell in 1lb or 4lb bags. Mix with 1lb per gallon of water. If you have any question please give me a call 800 762 6689 ask for mike

Last edited by friscospices.com; 11-13-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smoke as planned. Then place roast in a clow cooker with spices and whatever else you want in there. Add 2 cups beef broth and cook on low. Six hours later enjoy.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Spike

From a Para-Medic that saved my thumb in a deer cleaning issue, member of Pike Rd, Al VFD, Chef at A great restuarant-Jimmy Grubbs-he tooka fresh kill hind quarter, sliced grooves in the meat and inserted jalepeno pepper slices, drizzled their juice and covered it with bacon slices. It was put on a smoker/grill early in the morning and the fire tended for medium/low heat during the day and when the hunters came in at dark, by 8PM justbones for the dogs were left! Done this several times since 1985-same results. Pike VFD has a cook book with this and other great recipes. Jimmy Grubbs has cooked for several major deer expos and wild game cook offs with great results
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

De-bone, cover in milk and let it sit in the fridge overnight pour off the milk (takes A LOT of the gamie out) and cover with bacon and smoke it to desired doneness. Loosly cover with foil and Let it rest after removing from the heat for 20-30 minutes.... I dont think you will ever get all of it out.

Last edited by Wilcam47; 01-15-2013 at 09:59 AM.