Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Rabbit liver ?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Spike

Default Rabbit liver ?

Has any one ever deep fried rabbit liver? One of my friends got 10 rabbits from a guy that was saleing them for $3ea he was getting rid of them all, he bred them to kill and eat any way so thats what we were going to do for these 10 rabbits. We all ready cleaned them and skinned them, i kept 3 pelts , and we saved the liver and meat. So has any one ever fried there liver before? And if so is it good, just so i don't waste time doing it lol?

Last edited by Heather69; 09-19-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have a friend who just started raising rabbits this year. I don't eat liver myself but they have been talking all kinds of good stuff about the rabbit livers. They pan fry theirs and they are gone really quick. He says the livers are bigger then you would expect from a rabbit as well.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Spike

Yep rabbit liver is bigger than chicken liver for sure. And i went ahead and cooked all 10 and OMG you are right on that they were gooooooooood. I loved them so much now i want more lol.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Spike

A lot of wild rabbit diseases are carried in the liver along with parasites. If I ever see a bad looking liver I trash the whole animal. Be carefull!
Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Spike

Yeah... not so sure I would be pounding rabbit liver exspecially if they're wild... The liver isn't really a smart organ to eat in any animal imo.. since it filters toxins from blood....
Old 10-31-2010, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Rabbit liver is the only animal liver I eat. Of course you don't want a liver with light colored splotches on it. I haven't kept any for awhile now, since I've been field-dressing rabbits right after the kill. I'll pull all the guts and liver out, only leaving heart in. I've never deep-fried one, only in a pan in butter.