Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Charcoal- hardwood lump or kingsford type? >

Charcoal- hardwood lump or kingsford type?

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Charcoal- hardwood lump or kingsford type?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Charcoal- hardwood lump or kingsford type?

Just bought some pure hardwood lump charcoal as it was about the same price (1 dollar more)as Kingsford pressed coal/wood charcoal briquets and I was curious. Saw someone on TV claiming how much better the pure lump stuff is which is why I bought it but I can't tell the difference. Steaks tasted the same though the stuff did seem to light better(smaller odd shaped pieces is probably why). Anyone notice a difference?Whats your favorite charcoal? Do any of you notice a difference between the two if you use a chimney to start both instead of lighter fluid? As I said, just curious if anyone else has pondered this. Take care.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Cowboy lump charcoal here for years. I can tell the difference between it and briquets. I use a chimney for lighting, no fluid. One other advantage is the amount of ash that is left is a lot less than briquets.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefur the hardwood lump when i can get it - one reason being- yep easy to get going.

Last edited by Knightia; 07-11-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Hardwood lump any day, easier to light, no lighter fluid, more re-use of charcoal, better flavor I think.