Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer burger recipes needed!

Old 06-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer burger recipes needed!

Okay, I' ve done the usual meatloaf, burgers, tacos, chili, etc. until hubby can' t take it no more! Still have many pounds of burger left and hunting season around the corner. Kid friendly would be a big bonus. As my four year old daughter told me last week, " I am never, never, never, EVER eating deer meat." [X(] What she doesn' t know is that is all she ever eats unless she sees the white wrapper from the butcher at the top of the trash can and refuses! Those of you who have kids might know what I mean! Anyway, you all seem very creative when it comes to food preparation. Can you help?
Old 06-26-2003, 05:44 AM

Default RE: Deer burger recipes needed!

we make what we call camp grorices.

brown 1 lb. of venison burger in iron skillett,drain.

add 1 very large onion,couple cloves garlic.

when they get tender

add 1 large can of tomatos crushed(we can our own)

add one can of cornbeef,cook till the tomato juce thicken and cooks down some.

cook your favorite rice.

serve over the rice with a good halipinyo (sp) cornbread.

we' ve found " most" kids love this.

Old 06-28-2003, 11:47 PM

Heck, the way our local butcher does the venison burger, you can' t tell the difference between that and beef - besides the leanness, of course. My mom gave me a whole book of recipes for hamburger, they work just as well with ' deerburger.'

My favorite, and I' ll be back with more soon, is the crockpot pizza sauce. It' s a great ' football game' or ' house party' recipe. I don' t have the recipes with me, but basically you take as much pre-browned burger as you want, and put it in a crockpot with diced tomatoes and stewed tomatoes. Add oregano, garlic, onions, basil, some chopped mushrooms... whatever makes you happy. Let that baby sit on low for 4-12 hours, then break out the garlic bread and breadsticks. Oh, God, it' s good stuff.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

since its for the kids why not hamburger helper? They have Lasagna , Pizza or mac and cheese. or maybe make your own sloppy joes? VENISON STROGANOFF CASSEROLE
1 can mushroom, stems & pieces
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can golden mushroom
soup
1 tbsp. beef bouillon
6 oz. water
1 to 1 1/2 lb. ground venison, browned
2 1/2 c. uncooked noodles, boiled
2 to 3 tbsp. sour cream
Brown venison with garlic and onion powder to taste. Boil noodles, drain and combine all ingredients. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serves 5 to 6.

Old 06-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

VENISON STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS
8 med. green peppers
1 lb. ground venison (you may use
beef)
1 sm. onion
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 (10 oz.) can Ro-Tel
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 lb. Cheddar cheese, shredded
Remove tops from peppers and take out seeds. Add peppers to a large Dutch oven of boiling water. Cook 5-7 minutes. Remove and place in casserole dish. In a skillet, brown beef, onions, salt and pepper. Add 1 can of Ro-Tel, then tomato paste. Stir well. Let simmer 5 minutes. Add shredded cheese, allow to melt, stir in rice. Then stuff mixture into peppers. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH VENISON
1 lb. Colby cheese, cubed
1 lb. Cheddar cheese, cubed
1 lb. Mozzarella cheese, cubed
1 1/2 cup milk
2 sticks butter
2 lb. box sm. elbow macaroni
Italian bread crumbs
1 lb. venison meat ground with 1/2
lb. ground beef
Season according to taste
1. Put first five ingredients in a medium sized saucepan. Cook on low heat until cheese has melted into thick sauce. 2. Cook macaroni al dente and drain. 3. Sauté meat in large skillet. 4. Mix cheese and macaroni together. Add meat and place in baking dish. 5. Sprinkle bread crumbs over entire top. 6. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes.

Old 06-29-2003, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

use it in tacos, and burittos. nacho cheese dip is great too. my cousin made it and his mom was hogging it up...she loved it. until he told her it was deer, then she wouldn' t eat anymore.
mix in diced onions and shredded cheese and make into patties and grill.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That hamburger helper idea is a good un, Jersey! Thanks.................
Old 06-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to everybody who has responded so far! I actually do make the sloppy joes, stuffed green peppers and stroganoff, but I am going to try your recipes for a change of pace too. The Hamburger Helper was also a good idea that I haven' t tried yet. If ya have ' em, keep ' em comin' ! I' ll be trying the Camp Groceries this week.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fresh Italian Sausage- 2tbs salt, 1 cup Ice water, 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon coarse Black Pepper. 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 5 lbs venison burger made with pork fat. extra fat is better than not enough although we no its not good for us. Mix all together and stuff into casings or use as is like patties or brown some and sprinkle over pizza. ENJOY ps you can add crushed red pepper to make hot sausage.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

www.justgamerecipes.com/ try this link. Over pasta in a red sauce with a little olive oil.

Quick Reply: Deer burger recipes needed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.