Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Exotic Ram is Really Good!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Exotic Ram is Really Good!!!

I took my 7 year old on an exotic ram hunt and he got a Corsican ram. Everyone told me that the meat would be terrible.

They were wrong. It's actually excellent. Same texture as lamb and very mild of flavor. I've cooked it many different ways and it is very forgiving.

Did I get lucky or was everybody wrong?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Typical Buck

Like with all wild animals their table fare can vary quite a bit, also personal tastes vary too. If you liked it . Thats a bonus! As I had never eaten a ram I didn't offer my opinion. Unfortunatly I think a lot of people give a recomendation with out first hand knowledge. You are the best judge of what you like.
Congrats to you and your son on a successful hunt and meal.

Last edited by Big Guy01; 03-06-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a similar experience with a feral X mouflon hybrid ram I shot. The meat was less gamey than store bought mutton I've had.

I understand that Stone & Bighorn rams can be very tough, but that's probably due to the age of trophy rams.