Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

making your own smoker

Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default making your own smoker

Have any of you made your own smoker? Last year I made my own smokehouse for the purpose of smoking all of our summer sausage, bologna, and snack sticks. Used an older fridge and it worked like a charm. This year I've added a gas burner to help regulate the heat a bit more.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you give any tips on how you made the conversion?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Never made one personally, but I've seen a few. People have made smokehouses since the dawn of time, they're still the standard in some places.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

I just found an old fridge on of my co-workers wanted to get rid of (it didn't work). Took it home, gutted it and took all plastic and insulation off, basically everything came off and I was left with the shell and doors. I tipped the fridge upside down, I rehung the doors with hinges so that the doors closed tighter since there was no seal. I then cut an old piece of tin to put down towards the bottom so that I could have a firebox in the bottom where I put hot coals from my outdoor furnace and some fresh cut maple (for good smoke) Since it wasn't airtight and the firebix wasn't real tight the smoke works it's way up through the meat. I'm not sure how to put pictures on with this message so I might have to post a new thread with some pictures. If you know how I can post them in this thread, let me know and I'll do that instead!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I honestly wasn't crazy about my smoker
Extremely low temps...took too much coal..and a hassle keeping the water pan filled

so here is what I do...

A. I have a small weber cooker..regular dome grill...After soaking 1/2" wood cuts...I place them on the hot coals..and cook my steaks or chicken pieces on them..AWESOME..extemely smokey..smoke gets very intense trapped in that little cooker.LOL choo choo charley..

B. When cooking alot of meat or whole turkey..I bought a wood pan .and place it above the fire on a gas grill.{ Right side of the grill} .and .I also installed a big temperature guage in the hood of my gas grill..I keep the temp on 350 and make sure the wood pan is smoking all day..while the burner { On the left side of the grill is off} which is under the turkey.. turned out very good...I also keep a pan of water in there as well...under the turkey.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those Weber Kettle Grilles are the ticket for smoking,cost about $85. Smoked many a Turkey in mine. Can also turn a gas grille into a decent smoker.People around here throw them away all the time. I got one 2 years ago that was tossed out. Converted it to coal for smoking and rotisery cooking.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Amen sir..and i agree. those Webers smoke like a locomotive..
Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a small charcoal smoker and had the same issues about maintaining temps for anything longer than about 2 hrs. A trip to walmart, single burner propane stove and adapter hose to connect to the 20lb cylinder, drilled a hole and now have a gas smoker. All total about $65 dollars spent.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Spike

Check out You-Tube. They have several vedioes on how to make your own smoker. I got a stainless steel commerical frig that I am going to make into one this winter.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Cabellas has an electric element kit to put in those small charcoal smokers. I think that would be the ticket. Mine is propane and sometimes I still have flare ups and sometimes if it is windy outside my burner will blow out if I am keeping it on low to keep the temps down. I gave my charcoal unit away before i new about the electric conversion kits or I would have kept it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.