Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
You ever smoked back straps and loins? >

You ever smoked back straps and loins?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

You ever smoked back straps and loins?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I learned about using sweet gum in Louisiana. I'm not sure how commonly it is used for smoking in other places. I like it because you can use it green and get a good smoke, but it is not like hickory that will leave a bitter taste if you use too much green wood. I prefer to use very dry hickory or pecan for the heat and a little flavoring and then the sweet gum for the smoke.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting. I might have to try it.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

LCC, you really need to get a new avatar! I come on to this cooking thread hungry for new recipes, and ways/things to cook, then lose my appetite when I see your avatar. :^)
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do a ton of smoking, but wouldn't smoke a backstrap/loin. They are far too good to eat just hot and fast on a grill. Lots of other parts of a deer that are way better suited to the smoker.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry, i got an unpaid leave , compliments of huntnet...glad it worked out for ya...it seems to be hard to get people to serve it real rare, glad ya went for it...it took me 4 years to figure that out when i started. did ya google butterfly cutting...its like cutting the meat in half but when you get done its one big fillet.people have a tendancy to over season as well, sometimes i jus put a dab of salt...you will be surprised.

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
UPDATE
I smoked the loins and backstraps last night and this was the BEST venison any of us had ever had. The loins were done in about 30 minutes total, and fell apart in your mouth. The bacstraps took about an hour (I did not butterfly them) and they turned out perfect as well. They were not quite as tender as the lions (but what is) but they tasted just as good. It was really windy here last night so I had a little trouble keeping temps regulated and the burner lit. The fresh shag bark hickory made a lot of smoke. There was five of us and there was just a few pieces of the backstrap left last night. We probably ate a least a pound per person.
This was the first time I cooked and ate any venison that was rare/med rare. It was a big hit with everyone.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

I did not butterfly them. I ended up cutting each back strap in half so they weren't so long and easier to work with.
Yooper, I have had loin and backstrap many different ways and this was by far the best. There was a few guys there many have been hunting longer then Ive been alive and they all agreed this was the ticket.
Give it a try.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

to me butter fly cuttin is like cuttin it in half long ways ..reduces the cooking time, and there are more edges which seem to be the ticket.