Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Help with a first time processor >

Help with a first time processor

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Help with a first time processor

Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Help with a first time processor

I will be cutting up my deer today, and this is my first time doing it. Dealing with the scraps that I will grnd into burger. I have read that it is easier to grind, when the chunks are half frozen. So that being said, can I just put all the scraps in the freeze for a while, and grind it all up later? I am planning on mixing about 15% Beef Fat with it. Can I just go to the grocery store and buy that from the meat department? Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Its easier if as you go along you remove all the fat, sinew and blue membrain from your roasts AND burger pile. If you don;t you burger will be gamey. I prefer to package my venison chunks and grind when needed. That way if I want to make jerky from my ground venison there is no fat in it. If I want burger I mix it 50/50 with cheap beef burger and re-grind.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Spike

Im not sure about the 1/2 frozen statement - BUT some friends of mine froze the meat because they didnt have tiem to grind it and when the did grind it it made a huge mess.. They had meat particles all over the walls and floor..

i can only assume that being frozen it sorta 'shattered' and went all over the place OR it got watery from being frozen.

Definitely remove any/all the sinew/fat that you can.

Brian
Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

you can always store it in the fridge for a day or two then put it in the freezer to get it partially frozen, I buy beef suet from the supermarket, cube it up and let it also partially freeze with the deer meat. I grind it when I have time. Or put in pkgs like big guy said and grind as I need it.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Here's my method:
1) Kill a fat doe. Field dress and COOL QUICKLY.
NOTE: If you kill a nice buck and plan to drive it all over town to show your buds. Pack the body cavity with bags of ICE.
2) Quarter carcass, save neck intact for ground later. (Be sure to remove all fat - Fat causes spoilage and gamy taste.)
3) Give the ribs to the dogs
4) Dust meat with black pepper and baking soda
5) Put meat in large cooler cover with ice.
6) After 8 hours flush and drain bloody water.
7) Add more ice and 2 quarts of apple cider. (The cider works as tenderizer and flavor)
8) Leave in cooler for 24 hours. Turn meat every 8 hours. (To assure all pieces have a chance to soak.)
9) Remove meat from cooler flush with water. (Garden hose works)
10) Bone out meat. (Bone meal leaves strong gamy taste)
11) Butcher roast, chops, backstrap, tenderloin.
12) All trims are cut into 1 to 2 inch chunks, labeled for stew, chili, or ground.
13) Everything is vacuumed sealed and frozen.

If I want to grind anything I do it after the meat has been frozen for at least a 3 days to kill any bad stuff.

Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it's not and I cook and eat the venison just like beef, with the exception of adding olive oil to keep it most. (No beef or pork fat)

Poorly process venison is what makes people say it too gamy.

Last edited by thom2; 11-30-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

just wait til the end of the season, invite some buddy's over..have a hockey game and grind party...make your sausage and burger at the same time with help...dont forget to hook your buddies

the grocer should give ya beef fat for free,,,, seein how they have to pay to have it disposed of!!pork fat, maybe a different story, depends where ya go