Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Best way to wrap for the freezer? >

Best way to wrap for the freezer?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Best way to wrap for the freezer?

Old 11-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best way to wrap for the freezer?

I just use a vacuum sealer, but even then, you'll find very, very small air bubbles once frozen.

In your opinion, what's the superior way to package venison for the freezer?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wrap in butcher paper and make sure I get out all the air, then I vacum pack. Lasts over a year.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

No reason to vacum pack somthing raped in freezer paper if it is packed tite!
Forever they have used paper to store meat, I've used a vacum sealer and it is a huge waste of time.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is freezer paper superior to vacuum sealing?

Guarantee you I could vacuum seal a cut faster than you could properly wrap one. Takes no time at all.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Just like fish. place in ziplock bag, cover meat with water, squeeze out all the air and zip. No air in package means no freezer burn. Lasts a LONG time, and stacks good too. Friend of mine who did his elk meat like this told me about this way. I have used this method for fish, just never thought about doing it for game meat. But it works great.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Never used paper before, but I hear it's good.

But I can attest to vacuum sealing. I think removing all the air slows the oxidation process, keeps microorganisms from growing, prevents them from coming back to life , and all that junk.... I don't know. all's i know is my dad vacuum sealed fish in ziploc bags when i was a kid and even after a couple weeks of freezing, they tasted almost as fresh as the day they died.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I pat the meat dry with a paper towel, coat it lightly with veg oil to seal the surface, then double wrap in plastic wrap with a foil jacket to keep the wrap from unraveling. Never had any freezer burn problems, and the meat lasts for years in the freezer with no noticeable decline in quality. Vac sealers are nice, and convenient, but they don't protect nearly as well as the method I describe.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kevin1
I pat the meat dry with a paper towel, coat it lightly with veg oil to seal the surface, then double wrap in plastic wrap with a foil jacket to keep the wrap from unraveling. Never had any freezer burn problems, and the meat lasts for years in the freezer with no noticeable decline in quality. Vac sealers are nice, and convenient, but they don't protect nearly as well as the method I describe.
I'll second this, though my experience with this method is fairly limited. For years I used paper, then switched to vacuum sealer. With either method, it was rare that all air was extracted. I haven't used veg oil, but the palstic wrap/aluminum foil has been the best of the three methods I've used.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I've tried vaccum wrap ..freezer papaer..but on eold timer showed me the best way..and ALL my meats just like they were the day they were wrapped..{ -:

Wrap tight with aluminum foil....and then wrap tight with butcher paper..and tape together..
Old 12-20-2009, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by St.Barnard
Just like fish. place in ziplock bag, cover meat with water, squeeze out all the air and zip. No air in package means no freezer burn. Lasts a LONG time, and stacks good too. Friend of mine who did his elk meat like this told me about this way. I have used this method for fish, just never thought about doing it for game meat. But it works great.
I have also used this method for freezing fish fillets works great.
have had fish in the freezer for 1&1/2 years and came out great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.