Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Jerky?

Old 04-06-2003, 05:31 PM

Default Jerky?

I dont think this is possible, but is there any other way i can cook jerky without a dehydrator? I dont have one anyways. What will i Need and what are some good dehydrators? Also, what are the steps for making jerky dehydrator and any other way. This is my first time, and i want to do it right.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2003, 05:42 PM

Default RE: Jerky?

oh, I will be using this for beef jerky BTW
Old 04-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first time I made Jerky I used an oven and hung the strips of venison on tooth pics. Foil on the bottom to catch the drips. Oven on the lowest setting, Door open slightly to let out the vapor and have the air circulate. Good Luck
Old 04-06-2003, 07:25 PM

About how long did it take? And what seasoning and ingredients did you use?
Thanks
Old 04-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the receipe I used from (After Your Deer is Down by Leonard Lee Rue III) Any lean cut of Venison, salt,pepper, Liquid Smoke. Cut the meat into 6" strips 1/2 wide by 1/4" in thick,with the grain running lengthwise. Trim all fat from meat,season it,and brush it with the Liquid Smoke. Place a tooth pic through one end and Hang on top rack. Don' t forget the foil on the bottom. It says cook at 120 degrees for approximately 8 hours until the meat is dark and dry. While the meat is cooking leave the door ajar so that moisture can escape. The jerky is ready when they are thoroughly dry and bend without breaking. Thats the reciepe however I made a note that I couldn' t get my oven down that low. So they were cooked at 150 degrees for about 6 hours. And as I Recall the were Fantastic. I took them COD fishing with me and was the envy on the boat They Did' nt last long at all. Good Luck once again and enjoy By the way you salt and pepper to your own taste. Use what you would normally put on a steak I guess. You could use any reciepe found on this site as well for jerky, just cut and dry the same way. Be fore warned that this experimenting is addictive as since then I purchased an Electric Smoker from The Sausage Maker in Buffalo NY. and now make Sausage,Kielbasy,Chicken Roll. Weiners,Canadian Bacon and the Topper of all, Pastrami.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:12 PM

You can make jerky in an oven on it lowest setting, in a smoker at 180 to 200 degrees or in a dehydrator. You could even make it in your attic if you live in Arizona.
You could make your own dryer or smoker with an old refrigerator and a hot plate. Dehydrators are not expensive and you will not have to monitor the temp. If you look in Wally World, Big Lots(Odd Lotts) or any discount deptartment store you should be able to find one for under $30.00.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:48 AM

First time I made jerky was in the wife' s oven LOL and that was the last time I used it.

I hung the strips over the racks in the oven and made ONE HECK of a mess trying to clean it off ( we actually threw the oven out) I was told that was the last ime I was to do that[:' (], I went out and purchased a Dehydrator right away! [:@][:' (] (after I renewed the wife' s oven)
AL
Old 04-09-2003, 05:48 PM

i have tried both and by far the Dehydrator was the best way to go, plus it wont make the wife mad because the smell of the jerky drying is the best smell, at least to me it is, who_else
Old 04-10-2003, 12:36 AM

Dehydrators don' t seem to get very warm at all, least not the one I tried. Usually use the oven. 180 degrees if it goes that low. Recipe or storebought spices, seems like any jerky' s good, lol. I buy High Country jerky spice. Got Uncle Bucks for xmas. Made' em both and they taste the same! I' d like to try my smoker but it' s been on the blink. Depending on the size of meat cuts, takes 5 to 12 hours to get done. Make it any way u like. Thick or thin. Fairly soft or crunchy like that stuff in convienience stores. I just lay it on crinkled foil and turn it ' bout every hour. I don' t crack the door either. This year I made up 24 lbs of various wild game jerky(precooked weight). Someone bumped the temp on one batch up 25 degrees. When I checked, it was hard like corn nuts. Ate it anyway and called it antelope nuts! lol. Any way ya do it, it' ll turn out great and you' ll eat it too soon! Good luck!
Old 04-11-2003, 04:19 PM

are you guys using flank steak? Im going to the store this weekend, and i hopeing to make a batch this weekend? Also, how much is it, and how many lbs do i need?