Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

jerky seasoning?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Default jerky seasoning?

What is your favorite jerky seasoning? I'm trying to make venison jerky for the first time. Do you have any recommendations as to what type of seasoning i should use?Any good brands you know of
Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: jerky seasoning?

Preacher Tony’s Venison Jerky

2 c Worcestershire sauce
2c cup Soy sauce
½ c Liquid Smoke
1 c Red Hot Sauce
6 TB Honey
3 TB Mustard
6 TB Garlic Salt
2 TB Pepper
4 TB Onion Powder
1 c Brown Sugar
To Add HEAT
2 ½ TB Crushed Red Pepper or
¼ c Tabasco sauce

Mix all marinade ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Pour into plastic container and refrigerate until needed. Measure out 2 cups of mixture for every 3# of meat to be marinated. Pour over meat slices that are already in a quart size zip lock bag. Thoroughly wet all sides of meat. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours. Rotate bag every few hours, working the marinade over all meat. Drain the meat and spread the meat (be sure to NOT overlap) onto trays in single layers. If using a dehydrator, dry for 4-5 hours, (depending on thickness) checking every 2 hours. Make sure to rotate trays
(bottom to top and flipping the meat as needed), or place trays in the oven and dry at 145’ for the first 4 hours then set oven to 130’ until dry( approx. 4-8 hours). Jerky should be hard but not brittle. Blot up any fat that appears with a paper towel. * For a chewy texture, slice the meat with the grain, or across the grain for a more tender jerky.
'nuff said
Old 10-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been wanting to try PT's (but because I haven't found the time lately) I've been using the Cajun Mix they sell @ BP and adding a little heat as well.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Preacher Tony's mix is aweful good.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for Tony's!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now those fancy recipes are good but what a time consuming deal not to mention all the crap you gotta buy. My buddy makes some and it was good so I asked what do you do. And all he does is simply marinate in la choy soy sauce for 24 hours then washes of all the meat when done marinating in water otherwise it's way too salty. Then uses tabasco sauce to taste however hot you like it. Done. NO hard to follow recipes no card reading. Just throwing it out there in case your a simple guy. I liked it alot was as good as most jerky I have tried but far easier to make. Just a option. Good luck now your making me hungry.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tony's better be good...because I have a pan full of the ingrediants on the stove as I type this!! It smells good and even tastes pretty good when I licked the spoon!!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

You can't go wrong with High Mountain stuff. http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/home.php?cat=248

I find it is generally cheaper in the local grocery store than off their website.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

I have had great results with High Mountain as well. However, after looking at Tony's recipe, I will have to try it.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's one you can do in the oven or smoker

1 tsp salt or seasoned salt
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp blk pepper
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce

Overnight soak, mixing it around occassionally. To this you can add a few drops of liquid smoke, hot pepper flakes, chile powder, whatever you like.

string it on skewers and let it hang vertically from the top rack over a sheet pan on the bottom rack at lowest oven setting, 150 to 170, 5 hours with door open a crack, then shut it off and leave it for another 5 or 6 or overnight.

Quick Reply: jerky seasoning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.