Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Smoky Mountain series heating question >

Smoky Mountain series heating question

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Smoky Mountain series heating question

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Smoky Mountain series heating question

Got my big unit model smoker out back breaking it in with water and dry hickory chips. As instructed by the manual, I turned the propane knob one and a half turns to let gas in the smoker. When I got to that point,it stopped, indicating that the valvewas fully open. I started the burner on high with all vents open. The heat quickly climbed to about 300 within 15 or 20 minutes. In order to test so I can manage the heat, I turned the knob to medium, and closed the side vents as far as they would go (they don't fully close). The heat backed off to about 250. Then I put the burner on low, and kept the side vents closed as much aspossible,with the top vent open, and it still ranover 200. In order to get it under 200, I had to thenhalfway cut off the propane tank valve.

Does this sound right? I'veheard to run it hot to season it,but themanualsays to run it low. I don't mind so much how to season it as it seems anything willwork. I'm more interested in knowing my smoker is doing what it should in terms of heat per burner and vent setting.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Smoky Mountain series heating question

On the new smoker I just bought I had it on low and the vents open and it was just over 200 degrees and it was minus 20 outside. In my experience running it around 180-200 is the best as you want to bring the internal temp of most meet to the 165-170 degree mark (chicken, goose is different the deer and moose). At this temp it will be cooked.

Over the last few years I started boiling my sausage till the internal temp is 165 and then smoke each batch for 1 to 2 hours. They tend not to wrinkle as much and look like proffessionally made sausages.

Hope this helps
Eric
Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's not a huge deal, but itseems like you have to close ventsAND cut back the valve AND have it on low to smoke at the desired temperature.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Doug now the fun begins

The air flow control controls part of your temp and the flames should be blue with little yellow tips. Personally I don't play with those to much. My top vent is closed as far as it can and the sides open. As emeril says use your knob . The breakin period is to seal the paint of unwanted flavors [:'(]. Most likely your smokingtemps will not be under 200 and average 225 to 250 . At least that's my average, then again I haven't cold smoked anything either. After you have a few meals under your belt you'll see and know what you need to get the results your looking for or get fat trying [8D]. Since were on the subject whats your first meal gonna be?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Ok start with a cold smoker, and put you wood chips in the pan and water in the dish. Ignite the burner and then turn it down to low. vents 1/4 open it will run for hours at 100-150 depending on outside temps. It normally takes 2-3 hrs in this mode before I get smoke. Once it starts smoking you will notice the temp come up some as the extra heat generated in the smoldering chips.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL BlackLab!

I think my first meal is going to be deer (I have roast AND backstraps) and breasted goose. I do NOT like gamey flavor (never ate geese, but freezer is loaded), so figured I'd try the following ON BOTH. Let me know what you think.

Soak them in salt water for a day or two, then marinade in Italian dressing a day or two. Then cut in smaller pieces, possibly skewering. Then wrapping in bacon and smoking with hickory a few hours at the temps you suggested above. How does that sound? If you have any suggested modifications, please let me know.

I appreciate all the input you've given me.

You too BigGuy. We posted about the same time above. Yousuggest running it a few hours on low before getting smoke, then smoking (as opposed to hotout of the gate to get it to smoke quicker, and cutting it back as soon as doing so)?

BTW, I lined the water bowl with aluminum foil, which came out fine (doesn't look dirty or anything)after the first two hour smoketo season the unit. Can I just leave it in the bowl and reuse it?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think my first meal is going to be deer (I have roast AND backstraps) and breasted goose. I do NOT like gamey flavor (never ate geese, but freezer is loaded), so figured I'd try the following ON BOTH. Let me know what you think.

Soak them in salt water for a day or two, then marinade in Italian dressing a day or two. Then cut in smaller pieces, possibly skewering. Then wrapping in bacon and smoking with hickory a few hours at the temps you suggested above. How does that sound? If you have any suggested modifications, please let me know.

That sounds like a great menu.
I've never brined anything over 24hrs not saying you can't, I just never done it. If your gonna just salt brine be sure to rise meats well. Personally I think just marinateing your meatsin Italian dressing would be great and just skip the brine. Besides you'll eat quicker [8D]. Have fun

BTW, I lined the water bowl with aluminum foil, which came out fine (doesn't look dirty or anything)after the first two hour smoketo season the unit. Can I just leave it in the bowl and reuse it?

< Message edited by DougMD -- 1/6/2008 8:59:27 AM >

Oh yeah just fill it with water since you didn't cook anything.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your temps sound fine.Majority of my smoking is in the 225-250 temp range as well. Through trial and error you will get the settings down. My firstsmoke was darn near as good as my latest smoke with the smokey mountain. The main difference is less babysitting time as you gain experience.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug, another thing to keep in mind is youre breaking in an empty smoker.The heat when you have it loaded down with trays of meatwill be lower than they are when the smokers empty.My electric Bradley smoker I can preheat to over 300 degrees and after the foods put in will drop to 225-250 and stay there till the meats about done.

Ive played with a lot of smokers in the last few years and they all seem to run a little differently where temperature controlsconcerned, youll just have to play with it and see what works with your particuliar smoker.

Ive never really brined anything but when you get a chance try a dry rub on some of your deer, I just buy the big jars of but rub at the store.Put it on really heavy over the entire surface of the deer then wrap it in cling wrap and put in the fridge for a day or so, it works into the meat pretty well and forms a kinda crust when you cook it that holds the juices in.Just wrap it in bacon and cook till the bacons done and it seems to come out fairly moist and pretty tasty.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will try a rub too, thanks. I figure you can't go wrong getting the gamey flavor out with water, AND some kind of marinadeor rub. I really can't wait to do my first batch, quite possibly this weekend. The thermometer should be in the mail on its way to me, but I do need to pick up some cooking gloves.

BTW, the wood chips I bought are hickory chunks, not chips. And I did NOT soak them in water when I seasoned the smoker, and don't anticipate having to do it when I smoke meat unless you guys tell me different.

Quick Reply: Smoky Mountain series heating question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.