Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

first time Jerky??

Old 11-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default first time Jerky??

I made some jerky with some moose burger , just got a recipe off google as well as a method of oven drying... It isn't bad.I am eating it . but I rolled it out too thin therefore it is really thin now, even crunchy!!

It was a recipe for 1 pound and called for 2 tsp of salt..it is quite salty.

anyone have some jerky tips for a beginner??
like no fail methods and recipe's??
Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Default RE: first time Jerky??

go to the tractor supply store and get the jerky shooter and the seasoning packet and cure. put it in the smoker. make sure the burger you use is lean. use unmixed venison burger for the best taste and drying. you can make big batches and freeze it in ziplock freezer bags. enjoy!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

thats the problem...no such places around here cant get jerky supplies near here I have to mail order them in ...I dont want to get too much of something that I wont like.. so I was looking for somthing simple I could make with grocery store stuff!! Thanks,Rodney.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Hawaiian
2 lbs ground meat
1tsp salt
1tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp black pepper
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup pineapple juice

Mix with pure ground venison, let sit in the fridge overnight to meld the flavours. Place between 2 sheets of wax paper and using a rolling pin roll out to 1/4" thick. don't roll to thin. take a knike and slice into strips. Place in dehydrator and dry to the desired consistantly. I like it plyable not too hard. You won't be able to make it fast enough.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds good BG, I made another pound today from the first recipe I found and only rolled it out to 1/4" and it is much better. but I dont have a dehydrator so i am using the oven but it seems to be cooking more than drying??
I set the oven at 160 and place a meat thermometer in the oven and it gives me a reading ov 190 but I am getting closer to what I want ...Practice makes perfect... i havent thrown any out yet!!lol

thanks for the recipe!
Rodney.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

2 pounds meat
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Slice the meat into strips against the grain, 1/4-inch thick and 1-inch wide. (If necessary, freeze the meat for up to 2 hours to facilitate slicing.)
In a large, wide bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Place the meat in the marinade, cover, and refrigerate to marinate overnight, turning occasionally.
Preheat the oven to its lowest setting, between 145 and 150 degrees F.
Line 2 large baking sheets with foil and top with 2 heavy wire racks. Drain the meat, pat dry, and arrange evenly on the racks without touching. Or skewer each with a tooth pic and hang from racks. Place in the oven, leaving the oven door open a crack for air circulation. Leave in the oven until dry, but still firm (not spongy or brittle), 10 to 12 hours, depending upon the thickness of the meat, turning once or twice during the process.
Remove from the oven and store in waxed paper at room temperature for up to 2 days. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate to store for up to 1 week.

`My first bath ever made was simply just some liquid smoke and salt and pepper. I brushed it strips of meat and let hang by toothpicks in the oven at lowest setting with the door ajar for about 6 hrs. Gotta make some more like that.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Read a little Jerky History here. How to make a marinde and different recipes.
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/jerky/jerkyhistory.htm
Watch the time and temp carefully. Too hot and its crispy. Too long and its rubbery.
Good Luck,
Eric
Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Get you some Hi Mountain Jerky Spices. They have a web site. Basspro has it. Best jerky you will ever fix!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Cabelas has some great jerky spices. They have a jerky shooter as well....And you can mailorder from them.