Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Hunting Camp Menu?

Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Camp Menu?

What sort of stuff do you guys eat while at camp?And why does it always taste better at camp than it does at home?

Myself;1st choice= Salted cod fish with pork scraps!

We take some salted cod fish that we salt ourselves,parboil then boil again.Fry up some thinley sliced pork(at least 2 pans full)fry lots of onions with it.Boil up some Blue potatoes.
What I like is to pour the fat and pork and onions over the fish and potatoes....mmmmm.
We need lots of these calories for tomorrows walk!!Right?

Rodney.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Camp Menu?

Steak, Beef roast, steaks, roasts,steak, burgers, sausage,and for a change roast and some steak, eggs,bacon. Accompanyments are potatoes,squash, carrots,cabbage, Kielbassa,cheese,beer, wine and a night cap of rye. And of course when playing cards in the evening we scarf down, chips,peanuts and all sorts of party snacks, kielbassa, cheese, pepperettes,along with a few libations.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Steak, Beef roast, steaks, roasts,steak, burgers, sausage,and for a change roast and some steak, eggs,bacon. Accompanyments are potatoes,squash, carrots,cabbage, Kielbassa,cheese,beer, wine and a night cap of rye. And of course when playing cards in the evening we scarf down, chips,peanuts and all sorts of party snacks, kielbassa, cheese, pepperettes,along with a few libations.
WoW I wonder how you got the name Big Guy
Old 09-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the camping your doing. For cushy camping at a campground or a car close by we bring a cooler and the possibilities are limitless, for remote wilderness we pack shorelunch, add water pancakes, and potatoes in a pouch that are just add water, or those pasta side dishes.

As for why does it taste better when camping.......It has the smoke flavor from the fire. In the remote wilderness eating pancakes is like a delicacy because you have few options.

Sometimes we roast dogs and brats over our firepit just to have that camp taste. Today we had brats and they were wonderful, apple wood is excellent for campfire cooking!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bear camp is usually our big show. We have around 10 hunters and "observers" to feed. We usually go into camp the Wed. before season, which starts the following Monday. The fare is normal for Wed., Thurs., and Fri. evenings. Hamburgs, hotdogs, pizza, perhaps some ham. Breakfasts usually consist of fried potatoes, bacon or sausage, eggs and toast, coffee/tea. Saturday dinner has historically been tossed salad, home made lasagne, a side of spaghetti, and garlic bread. Sunday dinner has been a deep-fried turkey with baked potato. Monday's evening meal after the first day's hunt is normally pigs in the blanket with mashed potatoes Tues. eve will be cleaning up leftovers, if there are any, as we usually pack up Wed. PM and head home.
Plenty of lunch meat, cheeses, pepperoni, pickles, pickled eggs, peanuts, snack crackers, pickled kolbassi, etc. are always available for anytime anyone gets hungry. Naturally, your choice of beverage is up to you.
We've been doing this for a lot of years now, and haven't lost too many bear hunters yet........
Old 09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

We usually have three nights of meals. The first night we have chilli someone brings. The next two nights we go to town and have the butcher shop cut us some ribeye and butterfly pork chops and have them the next two nights. The crock pot of chilli and another crock pot full of beans is brought out of the fridge every morning and plugged in to keep warm. We'll have baked potatos with the meat. Plus all the cookies, cake, and brownies the wifes send us. We don'tstarve by no means
Old 09-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with Big guy! Add Venison chili and ribs to the list! I eat more at camp than I do at home.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:34 AM

I remember as a kid, the guys all liked it when Mom went aloge. We would get up at 5am and she was already up and had the coffee doing and was frying the bacon and eegs and making toast. Then she would make sandwichs for our lunches. I remember that well because the first couple years I was the packhorse. Back in camp that evening we had fresh liver w/bacon and onions, steaks taters, biscuts and gravey. Some times she would make pancakes or french toast for breakfast. Sure was glad for all that good food as those guys hiked my *** off. If I turned sidways, you couln't have seen me. This was on a wood stove besides. She even baked a cake once in awhile.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Big Guy01

I want to go to Big guys camp...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM

Breakfast is usually just a muffin & some milk or hot chocolatefor me, or if I wake up early enough i'll have a bowl of oatmeal& sometimes toast.We like to be out ina spot before the sun comes up so breakfast is quick. At about 11:00, i'll heat up a can of chili, soup, orchef boyardee pasta,or i'll have made a couple sandwiches the night before, and I usually pack some type of fruit, granola bars, jerky, cookies, chips, etc. I sight & stalk so I don't eat all that food at once. I basically snack every couple hours. Once everyone gets back to camp after dark weopen a bag ofStoffers "Skillets" (frozen bag of various types of stir-fry type stuff), Dinty Moore stew, or some type of meat like pork chops & baked potato, steak & baked potato, pre-madepasta salad, etc.

Quick Reply: Hunting Camp Menu?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.