Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Raw Chicken

Old 08-25-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Raw Chicken

I know this is random, but is it ok to eat a piece of Chicken that is a little pink inside? I just had some and I don't want to get Samonalla or anything.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Raw Chicken

NO. Never eat pink chicken or any other bird that's not fully cooked or has pinkish juice coming from it. Pork either. If you're having problems when you grill it, boil it a few minutes beforehand and then put it on the grill. But never eat it until the meat it fully cooked and the juice is clear.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Ok, but would 20 minutes of full cooking on a grill be enough to be SURE to elimanate most or if not all of bacteria?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

No pink meat, no pink juice is the rule. Doesn't matter how long you cook it.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can always microwave the chicken for a few minutes before or after grilling. Try deboning the meat also as you now have thinner pieces of meat to cook. This usually helps a lot with chicken ifyou find pink close to the bone.

Ron
Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless it's chicken wings which I deep-fry anyhow, I ALWAYS par-boil my chicken 20 mins. before putting it on the grill. Makes it more tender, too. I also bake or roast whole chicken in the oven, but do it until the meat starts to pull off the bone easily.
As was said before, don't eat chicken or any other fowl that has not been thoroughly cooked. Might be OK for steak, but "pink in the middle" for chicken is bad news.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somesaythe temp should be 180 internal, others say170.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't eat anything with pink init, besides not wanting to be sick it just plain old tastes disgusting. If you do not want to boil it first then cook it in tin-foil, and just take it off the foil a bit before you take it off the grill if using bbq sauce. The tin foil can also be put on after the outside is to your desire but the tin-foil will hold the heat in without burning the skin or outside meat.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are worried about a little pink inside your chicken buy a digital probe thermometer ad put the probe in the thickest part of the thigh but not on bone. 165 degrees is the safe temp for chicken. That said I have eaten a lot of thghs from roast chicken that has been pink at the bone joint at the body. I am 72 yo, it didn't hurt me.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
If you are worried about a little pink inside your chicken buy a digital probe thermometer ad put the probe in the thickest part of the thigh but not on bone. 165 degrees is the safe temp for chicken. That said I have eaten a lot of thghs from roast chicken that has been pink at the bone joint at the body. I am 72 yo, it didn't hurt me.

Its 12 yrs old. That guy probably died of old age by now.

I remember watching a show yeas ago about people with weird eating disorders. This particular episode was about a guy that NOTHING but completely raw chicken. I thought that was very strange until I watched the next episode about a woman that ate toilet paper.

Last edited by EShoreMD; 08-08-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Raw Chicken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.