Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Knife Sharpeners

Old 08-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Knife Sharpeners

What do you guys sharpen your knives with?. I use a wet stone, but usually only for my hatchet, and some yellow handled non-serated knife edge sharpener, it works great. I carry that one everywhere when I camp or hunt, wanna maintain a good edge.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knife Sharpeners

Soft and hard arkansas. Then a razor strop. Love them big bench stones.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

lansky
Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I switched to preset angle sharpening sticks years ago. All ya gotta do hold knife vertical and switch sides every time.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 PM

I prefer the Lansky Diamond Honing kit myself. Easy to use. Stalkingbear did makea good point thuogh, you do have to switch sides of the knife every 4-5 runs of the stone. It does do a great job, you can SHAVE with your knife when you get done. I have tried it. It also makes a good kit since it comes in a small plastic box. great to put in your backback to take on that hunting/camping trip. If you just want something to use while you are home, look for a sharpener called the Warthog. looks kida gimicky, all spring loaded and such, but it does a fantastic job as well. I think those are about $80-90.

Good luck

Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

I use the sharpening sticks as well. I always get a awesome edge with them...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to many knives to count. 99 Percent of them have been sharpened with the Edge Maker sharpeners. The best and by far the easiest way on the planet to sharpen a knife. Not the best on wide heavy blades but terrific for everything else. www.edgemaker.com.

These may look like a cheap gimmick but they work big time.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM

I have been tryingdifferent types of sharpeners for several years and so far DMT is the best I've found. http://www.dmtsharp.com

Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a meat cutter at work I use a little 3 dollar sharpener from wal mark and a steel to finish, I can't even touch the blade when I am done.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My husband has a Lansky kit too and the diamond stick is falling it out of the handle and we bought them about 3 years ago or so, but they doa nice job. When he doesn't want to bring it with his uses a plastic hand held one, he has a gray one and a yellow one. The gray one is about 7 years old and the other one I just picked up w/in the last year. The advantage though is that you have the different coarseness all in one box. My dad always used a wet stone and he used to have to figure out how much pressure to use and when, which is a draw back if you don't have to sharpen your knives very often. I guess to each their own, it's all personal preference and which one gives you the result you want.

Quick Reply: Knife Sharpeners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.