Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Cooking Rabbit?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Cooking Rabbit?

Hey everyone. I was wondering how long you were suppost to cook a whole rabbit by fire. I have done it before but I only cook it for a short amount of time. I think I cook some of the Rabbit raw a little. WheneverI hunt I bring ethier matches or a magnesium flint stick so I can cook my meat. The way I do it, I make a fire near a creek shorline or lake, I dig ahole for a fire pit, then line the bottom of the pit with green sticks, because the bottom of the pit is wet so I want the dry wood to stay dry. Then I make the fire using Evergreen tree bark tinder, than dry kindling then large dry sticks. Once I have a fire going, Icut a fresh 35 inch long green wood stick with the same thickness as an arrow, then jam it inside the dirt and mud at the shore so it is nice and sturdy. Than, I place the meat near the extreme heat of the flames by poking it with the green wood stick. I cook it for about 30 minutes. During the cooking process, I twirl the stick so that the meat can get cooked all around. My way beats holding meat over the fire, and the green wood doesn't even catch quickly. And by the way, the only reason I make a fire by the creek shore is because I do not want to risk me causing a forest fire, even if I make a pit in the woods and surround it by stones I still won't do it. The Creek shore offers a quick way to bank coals, use the water and wet mud to quickly put out a fire if needed be. But getting back to the subject, I need to know how long to cook these small game, in minutes----------

Rabbit-
Squirrel-
Bird ( scavenger birdswhich means a longer cooking time to kill harmful diseases and bacteria, and also regular birds)
Duck-
Chipmunk-
Goose-

I thinkthe meat should be in the same cooking time or close to the same cooking time as all the others, if there is a rule to follow, please tell me. I am not risking getting Salmonilla or any other bacteria.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cooking Rabbit?

Always cook rabbit until the juices run clear like poultry.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM

now what about those other game animals i want to learn how long to cook. i know you cook it until the jusice runs clear, but i still want the time in minutes, please
Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

depends on a lot of things man, i dont lknow that you can just put it into minutes, it depends on how large the animal is (some rabbits ar bigger than others),as well as how hot the fire is, all fires are not created equal and i like to cook over coals, i know a guy who wont cook near the coals only flames so if your looking for a set time u might have to go through some trial and error, good luck
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Are you seriously planning on eating chipmonks?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Most game cooked in that manner would be tough as a golf ball. Small game needs long slow cooking prefferably with liquid. having very little fat to internally baste the meat it would be dry and tough, you need to add fat, and or moisture to get an acceptable result. IMHO.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 AM

I have never tasted Chipmunk meat before, I want to know because I have tryed ALOT of different foods. I want to eat as many different things before I die. Ok so today I will get me a rabbit and try to make my own recipe, I wish myself luck with that..........
Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Are you seriously planning on eating chipmonks?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chipmunks, eh?? Well, you'd better get another long, green stick, 'cause it's gonna take a whole mess of those little critters to make a meal.
You may want to cook them until they are black, fall off the stick, and then eat the stick.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:49 PM

Wow lol, you replied to the oldest topic ever. Thats ok though. I don't like ChipMunks and I don't think I can ever get one with my Bow, Spear, or Slingshot.

Quick Reply: Cooking Rabbit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.