Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

grilling grouse?

Old 05-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default grilling grouse?

i have some grouse in the freezer (Already marinated and vaccum packed) anyway how do you go about grilling grouse? or maybe its not a good way to cook grouse! thnks
Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: grilling grouse?

I put mine in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup, carrots, green beans, corn and potatoes and let it cook all day! I found that the meat doesn't dry out this way! This is probably my favorIte game dish that there is!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Cook them on a hot grill for about 3-5 mins per side. you don't want to over cook them and they will be slightly red in the middle and very juicy. You might want to cut into the breast after a couple of mins to check how close they are to what you want. Good luck and good eating!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a few Ideas

Grouse Baked in Sour Cream

2 to 4 grouse cut in half
½ cup flour
1 tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. dried rosemary
Salt
Pepper
1 stick margarine or butter
½ lb. Mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups room temp sour cream
½ cup chicken broth
1 tsp. red currant jelly

Combine flour, thyme, rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Dredge grouse in the seasoned flour. In a skillet brown grouse in ½ of the margarine. Remove to a baking dish. Add the rest of the margarine to the skillet and sauté the onion, celery and mushrooms until tender. Add sour cream, chicken broth and jelly to skillet stir to mix then pour over grouse in the casserole dish. Bake at 350 for about an hour until grouse is tender. Serve over rice.

Partridge Breasts Fried
2 full breasts of Partridge
1 egg beaten
½ cup margarine
1 cup fine bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup flour
De-bone each breast and slice each half into three pieces pound flat to about ¼ inch thick. Coat each piece with flour, dip in egg then coat with bread crumbs. Melt margarine in fry pan. Fry slices at medium heat, until golden brown , adding more margarine if needed .

Ham and Swiss Cheese Grouse
6 Grouse breasts
½ lb. Swiss cheese sliced thin
¼ lb. Ham sliced thin
2 eggs
½ cup cream
¼ Tbs. Celery salt
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. Accent
¼ tsp. Dill weed
2 cups dry bread crumbs finely ground
1 stick butter
Bone out breasts and pound flat (1/4 “) with a meat hammer. Lay on a slice of ham then a slice of Swiss cheese. Roll tightly and secure with toothpicks. Beat eggs and cream together. Dip rolls in egg mixture. Add spices to the breadcrumbs and mix. Roll the grouse rolls in the breadcrumbs. Place in a buttered casserole and cook in a preheated oven at 375 for 30 minutes. Baste a few times while cooking with melted butter. Just before it is done cover with the remaining Swiss cheese and let it melt.
Note you can substitute pheasant, chicken or wild turkey for the Grouse.

Mandarin Grouse
Breast meat from one grouse, pheasant, or ½ turkey breast, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 Tbs. cooking oil
1 3 oz. Package of Oriental noodles (Ramen) with flavour packet (chicken)
1 small zucchini, cut in half and sliced diagonally
2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
2 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ cup sweet and sour sauce
2 Tbs. chopped peanuts
1 11 oz. Can mandarin orange sections, drained
Put oil in a wok and heat stir-fry the meat chunks until no longer pink remove. Break up noodles, add noodles, zucchini, celery, garlic and 1 cup water bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 3-5 minutes until noodles are done. Stir in the cooked meat, the flavour packet, sweet and sour sauce and peanuts. Cook until heated through. Before serving top with Mandarin orange sections.

Great Grouse

8 cups flour
2 Tbs. Black pepper
2 Tbs. seasoned salt
2 Tbs. Sage
2 Tbs. Marjoram
2 Tbs. Basil
1 Tbs. Oregano
1 Tbs. Thyme
1 Tbs. Onion powder
1 Tbs. Garlic powder
1 Tbs. Ground mustard
½ tsp. ginger
2 bay leaves
Milk
Shortening
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
5 soup cans water
3 grouse
Sift together flour and seasonings store in a container with 2 bay leaves for future use.
Cut breast into 8 pieces, and place in a bowl along with wings, thighs, heart, and gizzard. Cover with milk. Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs or overnight. Drain and roll meat in the flour mixture. Brown in melted shortening. Drain on paper towels. Place in a 5-quart casserole with the mushroom soup and water, mix well. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until tender.

Lemon Baked Grouse

2 whole grouse
1 clove garlic
¼ tsp. salt
2 stalks celery with leaves, rough chopped
2 small onions, quartered
2 to 4 sprigs fresh parsley
Basting Sauce
1 lemon
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp. onion juice
¼ tsp. Tabasco sauce
¼ tsp. dried thyme
Rinse birds and pat dry. Rub inside and out with crushed garlic glove. Stuff birds with celery, onion, and parsley, place on a rack in a roasting pan. Grate the rind off the lemon and place in a jar. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and add to jar. Add oil, Tabasco and thyme to jar, shake well. Brush birds with this mixture and bake at 375 for 40 minute or until tender; baste every 10 –15 minutes.

Beer and Partridge
4 partridge breasts
½ cup celery, chopped
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 can mushroom soup
½ pint sour cream
½ can of beer
salt and pepper to taste
cut breast meat from bones and flatten with a mallet, salt and pepper each piece. Place 4 pieces in the bottom of a baking dish, cover with finely chopped celery, place onion slices on top. Mix beer, sour cream and soup then pour ½ over the onions. Repeat layers. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 ½ -2 hrs.

Grouse Blue Cheese Roulade

Boneless skinless breasts from 2 grouse
6 oz. Blue cheese
4 Tbs. butter
12 slices bacon
Oil
½ cup red wine
½ cup chicken stock
Salt
Pepper
Cornstarch
Flatten breasts with a meat mallet. In a small bowl blend together butter and blue cheese. Spread cheese mixture on one side of the breasts and roll up. Wrap each with 3 slices of bacon and secure with toothpicks. Heat some oil in a pan and sauté the rolls until browned on all sides, drain fat from pan. Add wine, stock and salt and pepper to taste. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Remove rolls and remove toothpicks. Thicken pan juices with cornstarch mixed with a little water. Spoon sauce over rolls.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mrfishy34,

Grill them over indirect heat, since you already have them seasoned. That way they won't dry out as easy.

Well Big Guy01 since your giving them Ideas away, I can't call it stealing [8D]. So I'm just going to say ty
Old 05-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Hello Black Lab. I don't claim to be theauthor of all the recipes which I post. I do take the better ones from this and other sites and share them with others. Thanks if I borrowed and re-distrbuted some of yours.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys
Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put a small slit in them, stuff with black forest ham and some mozza cheese, then wrap with bacon. I heat up the BBQ then before I put them on I turn the burners off on one side. Place the stuffed breasts on the side that the burner is off and close the lid. Turn over at about 20 min and 20 on the other side. Fancy shmancy.