Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Not so tasy treat!!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Not so tasy treat!!

I have tried a couple of recipes for waterfowl, It smells so good while cookeing, but I find it hard to enjoy swallowing. I was wondering if you guys had any recipes that atleast covers up a little of that chicken liver taste I get. I have tried a couple of recipes where you wrap bacon around it after merinading it. I think I might try to make some jerky if nothing turns out right.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not so tasy treat!!

LOL, jerky is a good bet, some of the best jerky I've ever smoked was Canada Goose.

1st, are you cooking good ducks (ie. mallards, woodies) and not fish ducks (mergansers and other divers)?
2nd, are you treating the meat properly? Gutting your birds and cooling the meat shortly after the hunt?

If you answered yes to both the questions above we should be able to help out, if your like that guy that put a whole duck in his fridge for days without gutting it (only to find out it was alive) your on your own.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

RKW,

I soak all my waterfowl in salt water for 48 hours in the fridge and it pulls out a lot of the blood and wild taste form the meat. Before I did this my family wouldn't eat waterfowl and now they think it's great. I do this to all dark meat game birds and it does make a difference.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

-I think my mistake might have been throwing it in the freezer right after cleaning, and then just thawed it out and cooked it before soaking. I will try soaking it next time for sure. Thanks
-I think you could make jerky out of a possum and it would taste fine, even if had been hit on the road.-lol
Old 02-10-2007, 08:02 PM

Don't overcook it. Cut a little piece off and try it as you cook it. There is a little window in there where you can swallow it.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like my mom used to cook it. She thought it had to be killed twice!![:'(]

I find duck needs to be rare to be at its best. A couple min a side and let it finish by wrapping it in tin foil...not talking pink but red. I find that overcooking not only makes the meat tougher but it also enhances the flavor as well (not in a good way).

I do the same thing with venison hot, fastand pull it off to finishwith foil. The meat always has tons of juice as it is seared (sealing it) and is never overcooked.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 AM

Yep, soaking helped me out too. I'd keep mine in a ice chest with COLD ice water, a little vinegar & salt for at least 2 days before freezing.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have the time and the patience, scroll back maybe six months or so. There you will find all sorts of waterfowl recipes you can use. Prime time for them.
I`ve hunted waterfowl for over 40 yrs and have yet "soaked" any of their meat. I like that flavour, that is why I hunt ducks/geese.
You can also jerk or smoke the meat, make sausage or pepperoni the meat. If you think about it, nothing is wasted. Soups are good too.
Just my opinion.

Ron
Old 02-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

For waterfowl meals I like the cedar plank roasting method:
1)Put the fowl on a cedar plank.
2)Place in 350 degree oven until desired degree of doneness is achieved.
3) Throw fowl away and eat out that night.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: rbduck
You can also jerk or smoke the meat, make sausage or pepperoni the meat. If you think about it, nothing is wasted. Soups are good too.
Just my opinion.
I have made goose jerky and sausage with ducks and geese and ohhh lordy is it great. I only get out waterfowling a few times a year so i get enough for a nice batch of pepperoni sticks which are better than anything i have ever had b4.

Quick Reply: Not so tasy treat!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.