Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Not so tasy treat!!

Old 02-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Not so tasy treat!!

I marinade with thishttp://www.spiedie.com/products.htmand ad a chunk of onion and wrap in bacon. I presoak them for a couple of days in water to rid most blood.
My friend grinds all waterfowl and makes chili. It actually comes out very good. We had people eat it and they had no clue.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

I make pastrami with some duck and goose breast every year. Soak them in the pastrami brine (sausagemaker.com) then smoke 'em. EXCELLENT! you need to be careful not to soak the duck breasts too long or they tend to get salty due to the fact that they are not as thick as the goose.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I soak mine too but not for 48hrs,a couple hours works good too,and as with any game medium rare or even rare is the best. Any game gets chewy,gamy and hard to swallow if you over cook it.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

I flour and fry my ducks, they are delicious.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:10 PM

some of the best duck i had this year wasn't soaked at all. shot a few early season mallards and teal and as soon as I was done breasting them out i froze them. heck even ate a few shovelers. All i did was cut the breasts into bite sized pieces, rolled them in some seasoned flour and deep fried them at 350-400 degrees for a few minutes. season up with a little salt and pepper and take after them with a fork or a tooth pick. they were very tender and delicious. very simple dish, but very good.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:41 AM

I think a couple others mentioned it, but it sounds like you over cooked it. Serve it medium rare at most and you'll not have that livery taste.