Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Intoducing some more to venison >

Intoducing some more to venison

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Intoducing some more to venison

Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Intoducing some more to venison

Sat is a big family Christmas party for my wife's side of our family. OF COURSE the will be more food than a smallarmy could eat.

Many of them show intrest in my deer hunting and seem pretty intested in the whole experience. So of course I will share my bounty with them during this givingholiday season. I just put a rather LARGE roast in some Daddy Hinkle's O'riginal instant meat marinade (o'riginal is onio and garlic) www.daddyhinkles.com . I'll let it sit in the fridge until Sat morn and then.........???

I think maybe.....

1) cook it in a roaster bag, remove it rare/med-rare, slice it and pour the juice over it with fresh crumbled thick country bacon bits and tiny roasted boiler onions.

or

2) smoke it in the smoker with cherry wood, pull rare/med-rare, slice it and pour a glaze mixture of appricot brandy and cracked or crushed fresh peppercornsover it and stick it together with a propane torch.

Either way it will be kept warm then quickly super heated to assure it is fully medium/medium-rare when served.

I'm sure it will be delicious, but I really want those who have shown intrest to be blown away and any myths they may have heard about venison to be just that - myths!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:10 PM

Default RE: Intoducing some more to venison

I just have to say that both of those dishes sound sooooooo good. I'd pick number 1 if it was a menu in front of me, but I doubt that I would be disappointed with either of those two choices! Nice recipes man!!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good to see someone else enjoys Daddy Hinkles! Great stuff Maynard, err, I mean Matt.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:47 AM

My inlaws do not hunt and definitely will not eat anything I've killed.

2 years ago my wife was making a pasta dish with tomato sauce. I had her cook up some deer hot sausage, cut it into small pieces, and add it to the pasta!
They never knew it was deer meat until we were having desert.
I asked them how they liked my wifes dish with a huge grin on my face and they instantly knew!!![:'(]
Old 12-15-2006, 07:04 PM

Man, I feel you all the way. I love venison. I eat it over beef all the time!. I cook it for my friends, whom are also hunters, and they love it. Both of your recipes sound incredable, I would go with the Apricot brandy and pepper glaze though. I made my last sort of szechwan with the sesame oil, horsraddish mustard, soy, ginger cracked pepper marinade, and then seared the backstrap on the grill. Served it with red pepper veg, and fried rice.
You da man...
Old 12-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

While both sound very good, I'd smoke it. Ithas anexotic allure and most can't resist the temptation of a trying a smoked dish. I have to admit I have gone away from lots of venison roasts but those I do keep for roasting areear marked forthe smoker.

Enjoy and best of the season to you Matt!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:50 PM

Ah I love bringing people venison that have never had it! Our last day in my Speech class in college we had a "party" you could call it. I brought in venison for everyone to try, they all LOVED, im so glad I got some people hooked on it now!
Old 12-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

I'd smoke it. They will love it either way .