Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

My experement turned out great

Old 11-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default My experement turned out great

Well some of you know that I like to experement and try new recipes. This year my new recipe was Ruby-sweet Grapefruit Pie. Now before you turn up your nose at it you really need to try it. I made two of these for Turkey day and we had left overs from Better than sex cake, Cheese cake, pecan pie but both of these pies were gone.
I did not tell them what was in it till everyone had a taste. Boy were they shocked. My oldest son swore that there was no grapefruit in it.
Well anyway I thought I would post it and let you try it.

Ruby-sweet Grapefruit Pie
3-4 Texas Ruby Sweet grapefruit, Note this is a lot of grapefruit you might
back off to 2 large ones.
1 cup prepared strawberry glaze *
9" cooked pie shell
Whipped cream

Peel and section grapefruit.** Drain well on paper towels. Cut sections in half. Gently fold sections into strawberry glaze. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate until firm. Top with whipped cream.

*Strawberry glaze- Prepared strawberry glaze or packet mix may be found in the produce or canned food section of your supermarket or try this recipe.
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3oz box strawberry gelatin.
Blend sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin until no lumps appear. Stir into 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Boil until mixture coats a spoon, approx. 3-4 minutes.
Cool before combining with grapefruit sections.

** How to section grapefruit
Easy to master, sections make a beautiful pie; Cut off both ends of the grapefruit.
1. With a sharp thin bladed knife, cut off both ends of the grapefruit.
2. Place fruit on a flat end and cut away peel from top to bottom along the curvature of the fruit. (Note I use a spoon for this. Run the spoon under the peel all the way aroung the grapefruit. Takes it off easy)
Remove all white pulp.
3. Seperate into sections. Cut down along section to remove membrain, then turn knife to loosen section and lift out. Repeat for other sections.

Good luck and enjoy.
Rick
Old 11-24-2006, 12:37 PM

Default RE: My experement turned out great

Sounds good Rick!