Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

odd question.....

Old 03-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default odd question.....

has anyone ever butchered a deer without field dressing it first? heres wha i'm thinking. I'm lucky enough to hunt on my grandparents land, so if i retrieve the deer fast enough, get it to the barn, skin it. would it be ok to take the meat off without gutting it? sorry if this ain't the right forum
Old 03-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Default RE: odd question.....

wrong form , but thats Ok too.

yes you can. I haven't field dressed a deer or hog in many years.it's only 15 min. to my hanging rack.I hang them by the head and skin them.(I cut around the neck just below the ears ; split downthe neck to the front of each leg,under the leg to the back leg, down the leg.when you skin it is in two strips,one down the belly and the rest around the back.)then I remove the sholders, the hams , the back straps, then all the meat from the neck , back , and ribs.then I cut it off at the bottom of the neck, letting the carcass fall into my gut tub.

then I slice open the thin membrain from the back of the ribs to the hip joint, reach in and remove the tender loin,roll over and get the other side. then cut the 2nd and 3rd ribs, reach in and remive the heart and liver.
Done!

there's not enough meat left on the carcess to feed a small dog.

once you hang one and dress it like that , you will never field dress or hang by the back legs again.they skin much better, the meat doesn't want to pull off with the hide,it just peels like a banana.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:41 PM

Default RE: odd question.....

Thanks TC that is some good info to know.