HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Give me your best venison roast recipe.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/116218-give-me-your-best-venison-roast-recipe.html)

Buck Huntin Girl 10-10-2005 02:02 PM

Give me your best venison roast recipe..

Alright guys n gals, give me your best venison roast recipes, I have a ton left and need to get rid of it before my deer comes back ina few weeks...

jerseyhunter 10-10-2005 05:57 PM

RE: Give me your best venison roast recipe..

Saurbratten- my way

1 2-2 ½ pound Venison Roast, I used the eye of the back leg minus 2 steaks.

Marinade:
1 cup Merlot wine , 1 cup red wine vinegar, ¼ cup pickeling spices (tied incheese cloth),a few dashes of salt and pepper ,1 carrot ,1 celery stalk ,1 small onion,(chopped) All simmered and cooled and poured over meat for 2 days
.Then drain and pat dry, Simmer marinade and strain. Brown meat, add marinade and 1 can chicken broth, and 1 small chopped onion.Simmer on top of stove 3 hrs. Remove meat, and make gravy,
Gravy:
To the Juices and marinade Add 7 ginger snaps (cookies),1 tbs sugar, 1 Tbs flour mixed with 3 ozs cold water, and 1 teaspoon gravy master. ( a browning and flavoring sauce) Makes about 2 cups. Heat till bubbly and serve with,Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Red cabbage and apples, and pumpernickel bread.

Ps. I make my own Merlot so that adds to the uniquness.:)

gonzodemon 10-11-2005 11:09 PM

take a cast iron dutch oven place on stove topat high heat. when hot add 1 cup oil. take roast and dust with flour . put roast in pot and brown turning regularly. once brown add 2 cups chicken broth ,1 tblsp minced garlic, 1 onion chopped,and water just enough to cover meat , salt and black pepper to taste bring to boil then let simmer with lid on for 2 hours ,add potatoes and carrots let cook till vegies are done . serve potatoes slightly smashed with gravy from roast on them , take carrots and sprinkle sugar lightly on them the contrast in flavers is pleasantly suprising. a little ice tea and a biscuit dang good

Chuck7 10-12-2005 02:54 PM

Sounds simple .I hope I score this year so I can try it.
Chuck

ccm352 10-14-2005 11:07 AM

I just put it in a crockpot with 2 packets of lipton onion soup mix

ccm352 10-14-2005 11:09 AM

either that or i cube up the roast.. dip it in flour and brown it up ina frying pan. Then i put it in the crock pot with 1.5 cups eachof burgandy and chablis and then add 2 cups of water. Then i slice up onion, mushrooms, baby carrots, and potatos. I add a touch of ketchup and worcestershire sauce. and then it cook for 6 hours.

s. il. hntr 10-14-2005 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck Huntin Girl

I have a ton left and need to get rid of it before my deer comes back ina few weeks...
send it to me:D

jerseyhunter 10-16-2005 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: ccm352

either that or i cube up the roast.. dip it in flour and brown it up ina frying pan. Then i put it in the crock pot with 1.5 cups eachof burgandy and chablis and then add 2 cups of water. Then i slice up onion, mushrooms, baby carrots, and potatos. I add a touch of ketchup and worcestershire sauce. and then it cook for 6 hours.
That's called STEW:D

ccm352 10-24-2005 02:43 PM

yes it is.. but thats what i do with a roast! ;)

kevin1 10-24-2005 03:57 PM

Inject with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter , rub the outside with a dry rub , then slow roast at 300 with vegetables of choice until done enough for my wife. I like it a little pink in the middle , she likes shoe leather , we settle for medium .