Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Camp "Menus"

Old 08-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Camp "Menus"

Does your deer camp have a set "menu"?

My camp has made virtually the same thing each year for over 25 years. And to be honest with you, if it changed, I would be P.O.'d

Friday Night (night before deer opener): Pheasant with vegetables, cheesy potatoes, fresh rolls, and green bean casserole.

Saturday Night: T-Bone steaks, with Fried and/or boiled onions, fried potatoes (though we switched to deep frying them about 4 years ago..much faster), fresh crescent rolls.

Sunday Night: Spaghetti, salad, fresh bread sticks

Monday night: Chicken on the grill (can't remember the side dishes right this minute)

Tuesday night: Stir Fry, with venison, shrimp, and chicken, plus left over salad, cheesy potatoes, and whatever else is around.

Wednesday night: This USED to be leftover night, but some years, there are only 2-3 guys in camp on this night, so we have been hitting a bar/restuarant for prime rib lately.

Thursday night: (THANKSGIVING DAY) - traditonal thanksgiving day meal, except instead of Turkey, we cook Pork Tenderloin. (Used to cook a turkey, but it was too hard to cook all day, and be out in the woods hunting.) cranberries, pumpkin pie, dressing, etc. Most guys are gone this night too, at home with the family.

Friday night: Same as the previous Friday, except we cook Duck instead of Pheasant.

Saturday night: Same as the previous Saturday, except we cook vension cut into cubes.

Plus we also have many of the same appetizers each year ...homemade goose Pate', teriyaki duck with water cresnuts, fresh venison tenderloin in garlic & butter, pickled herring, venison sausage, Wisconsin cheese,

I always said, that if I ate year round, like I do during deer camp, I would weigh 100 pounds heavier!

Gawd I'm hungry now!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Camp "Menus"

who pays for the grocery bill thats what i want to know!! and do you have a kitchen or camper.......how do you cook all this stuff?
Old 08-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Sound like ya gots some good eats at your camp... Yall must be wealthy to buy all that food for one trip.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:56 PM

My menu is:
1. Open can
2. Dump into pan
3. Heat Pan
4. Eat out of pan
Old 08-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

hey dampland, ain't noth'n like roughing it
Old 08-30-2005, 02:24 PM

cold hotdogs, saltines, sardinesand beer, doesn't get any better than that.

actually, i don't have a 'camp' so i just eat whatever.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

My hunting group is made up of 5 familes, and during the opening week of gun season, we have 17 hunters. All the venison, duck, pheasant, etc. is all game that we harvested ourselves during the previous year.

Yes, we do spend a lot of $$ on groceries, but when you split it up, it isn't that bad at all. Plus, when I say fresh rolls...I am talking about the tubes of Pillsbury rolls that you just heat up.

We do not have running water nor electricity at our cabin, so we cook with propane stove/oven. We also use a large grill made out of 55 gallon metal drums.

Unlike so many hunting groups, we actually HUNT during the season. We don't have afternoon card games, and no one drinks while the sun is up.No one goes to town during the legal hunting hours. We are there to HUNT. During opening weekend nearly all 17 of the hunters stay in their stands from 6:30am to 5pm or so. Only a couple leave their stand for lunch.

So after hunting hard in the cold Wisconsin forest, we refuel with a good meal.

Of course, trying to wash dishes for 17 people by using water heated up on a stove, and dumped into a plastic tub, does take time...that is why the rule is that the youngest guy in camp have to take turns doing dishes.

Good thing I didn't mention the desserts we have....homemade pies, plus some others from Baker's square. We may not have a fancy cabin, or indoor plumbing, but dang it we eat right!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:51 PM

Good on ya... Iam happy for you.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

We eat good at camp too, we have steaks about an inch and half thick, pork chops,chicken, meatloaf (brought up for first dayof camp due to partially intoxicated state no cooking)opening day we have spaghetti. We eat , drink, and be happy.. We have a camp member who is an excellent cook...
Old 09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like really good food. We used do the big meals. Nothin fancy though. Homade chilli, stew, lasagna stuff like that nothin outlandish by any means. Homade chiili was my favorite. A buddy of mine can make a dam good pot of chilli, till he moved out of state. Now I don't get any.........whaaaaaaa The last couple of years we just been playing fin 4 yourself. Hamburgers, hotdogs, and sandwich stufff.

Quick Reply: Deer Camp "Menus"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.