Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Bluegill??

Old 08-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bluegill??

How do you suggest I cook up some bluegill for the first time? Back at the pond I fish, you can get a good hand sized bluegill with almost every cast, on a hook and bobber with a worm. But Iusually just throw them back, I like to catch them because of the fight they put up. But at a family get together a couple people were raggin on one of my cousins for usin good eatin fish as bait down on the river. So I thought maybe I should give them a try but dont know where to start? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:02 PM

Default RE: Bluegill??

I just filet them and remove the skin. Wash them off lightly, and coat them in breading. I use one called golden dipt. Then pan or deep fry. Bluegill are one of my favorite fish to eat. Right up their with crappie. But you will need a good sized mess of them.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Bluegills are 5 star. Mix a bowl of 50 % flour and 50% yellow corn meal. Get the oil medium high NOT SCORCHING . Add lots of pepper and some salt to the meal mixture. Coat bluegills good and carefully put in hot oil . When they are stiff and golden brown yuo will have some serious good eatting fish. I think I need to go and get me a mess. With a little practice you can use a fork and eat without getting many bones. After one side is eatten remove the bones for a good bite of boneless sweet flesh.
Good Stuff man.
My favorite aer the red earred sunfish { shell crackers they call them in Florida}
Brother Chuck
Old 08-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to soak mine in salt water overnight to get that ole pond taste cleaned out. Same thing with frog legs.If your catching them in nice clear clean water thats not an issue.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Longrifle: You gotta be a little more specific that just saying "fillet them". Ive never cleaned a fish before, Im sure I could get someone to show me what your talking about. I'll probably get my dad to show me.

Chuck: You mean the whole fish after its been cleaned?

AJ: Good Idea, Thanks

Thanks everyone so far!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:24 PM

DK ; we don't fillet them,just scale then , gut scrap the side and fins, the golden brown crisp fins is the best part of the fish(sorta like fish chips)not fish and chips. to remove any mud stuck ; and salt , pepper , meal and deep fry them,when golden brown and comes to the top; floats. eat till yo can't walk.[].

the only fish we filletare bass or anything that weights more than a 16 oz.can of beer
Old 08-22-2005, 05:34 PM

Longrifle: You gotta be a little more specific that just saying "fillet them". Ive never cleaned a fish before, Im sure I could get someone to show me what your talking about. I'll probably get my dad to show me.
DK, You gotta be a little more specific in your post. LOL

Anyways, with the fish on it side, put your filet knife right behind the gill plate. Cut down to the backbone. Then cut down the backbone all the way to the tail. Then you can remove the side, and skin it. Or you can skin it first. Flip the fish over, and do the other side. A lot of people don't filet bluegill, thats just the way I have always done it. And as far as eating the fins, I'll pass on that. Just never even tried it. Good luck
Old 08-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

OK
I try to keep my fish alive all the way up to cleaning time.
1.Carefully take a knife and scale both sides of the fish.
2. Cut the rear anal fin off making a slit all the way to the pectorial fins{ double underside fins}.
3. With your index finger pull out the few guts.
4. Cut off the head { getting as much meat a spossible.
5. Wash real good. Ours down here taste great no need for soaking.
6. Leave the dorsal fin and tail fin on.
7. Put 1/2 " of oil in a black skilet on medium high. Get her hot.
8. Dip fish in the 50-50 mixture I wrote ahead of time. Fry to golden brown
GOOD EATTING
Chuck
Old 08-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Chuck. Thats perfect! I will try both yours and longrifles suggestions.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

DK ; we don't fillet them,just scale then , gut scrap the side and fins, the golden brown crisp fins is the best part of the fish(sorta like fish chips)not fish and chips. to remove any mud stuck ; and salt , pepper , meal and deep fry them,when golden brown and comes to the top; floats. eat till yo can't walk.[].

the only fish we filletare bass or anything that weights more than a 16 oz.can of beer

Tell them like it is Climber!10-4

Quick Reply: Bluegill??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.