Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Stroganoff

Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Venison Stroganoff

This stuff is good!

VENISON STROGANOFF

In large skillet combine:
2 lbs. Venison steak, cubed
2 TBSP. Butter
1 onion diced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
Set aside when meat is browned.
In another skillet combine and bring to a boil:
2 cups milk
1 envelope onion soup mix
Thicken by adding small amounts of roux. Reduce heat and stir in meat mixture and 1 cup sour cream.
Put it on noodles or rice. Or eat it outa the skillet.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:30 AM

Default RE: Venison Stroganoff

what is roux?

Sounds good though--sure makes me hungry!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhhhhh roux...... it's part of Cajun cuisine (I'm not Cajun but I'm here to tell ya they know how to eat!! I get over to Looooooosiana every chance I get). Many creole recipes start with, "First, you make a roux...." I found a better explanation of roux than I could give...check out [link]http://www.gumbopages.com/food/ingred.html[/link]
Enjoy.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

what is roux?
As the link said ,it's flour and fat. I usually add about 1/4 cup of flour - 2 tbs butter and wisk together. What it does is prevent the gravy from becoming lumpy as it would if you just add the flour or corn starch. For turkey gravy I skim off about 1/4 cup turkey fat and mix in 1 cup of flower, simmer about 5 min , then I add the turkey broth and juices till the right consistancy. About 3-4 cups. also pepper and maybe some salt.

For half fat and half gravy roux, the longer you simmer the mix, the darker and more flavorfull. Simmer slow not boil and burn. It should take about 30-6- min.
Enjoy and have fun.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the info, makes sense, I'll give it a try next time.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

NO sour cream???? OOps no I see the sour cream,my bad.

Roux is a thickening agent equal parts usual butter and flour. There are three consistency and colors for rouxs.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another great recipe! I printed this one.

Another good way to make a roux(pronounced rooo) if your watchin the carbs is to mix some corn starch in cold liquid/water or milk and then add to hot liquid.Will thicken it nicely.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:08 PM

Sounds like a good recipe but try first marinading the sliced meat & mushrooms in a large zip-lock bag with 1 cup of white wine & 1/4 cup olive oil. Place in bag & remove air and leave in fridge for 6-12 hrs. Drain then carry on.

Bon Appetite
Old 05-13-2005, 06:17 AM

that sounds like a nice addition. I'll have to give it a shot.

I usually marinade most of my meat in Worshire sause and soy sauce over-night. This seems to really flavor the meat, but I think adds too much "something" and takes away the natural flavor.

I'm going to try your marinade, and I also heard using Italian dressing was good too
Old 05-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made the Venison Stroganoff for Din Din tonight. Superb!
Wife and daughter loved it. Everybody had 2 helpings and enough left for couple lunches. I tweeked it just a bit to lower the fat and carbs.

I really liked the butter in this recipe.It smoothed and blended everthing very nicely.
Used pint of low fat cream,pint of 2% milk. Used double the mushrooms(baby portabellos). Mixed up some corn starch to thicken. Seasoned with some of my own premixed seasoning along with 1 tsp salt,1tbsp of ground pepper. Simmered for hour and spooned it over some low fat wheat noodles and sprinkled with parsley.

Next time(real soon)gonna try 1/2 cup of white wine while cooking. Other than cooking time it only took 1/2 hour from browning meat,thicken,and bring to simmer. You could actually have this on table in about 45 minutes.

Quick Reply: Venison Stroganoff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.