HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is a bow considered a firearm? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/98591-bow-considered-firearm.html)

mooseslayer3 04-26-2005 06:55 PM

Is a bow considered a firearm?

I was just wondering if a bow is considered a firearm, because I was wondering if I could go target shooting by my self or would I need a supervisor who is 19 and has a liscence to come with me?

psebwhntr16 04-26-2005 06:57 PM

RE: Is a bow considered a firearm?

Umm...No. I dont think.

elkhunter2 04-26-2005 07:47 PM

NO! It is concidered a weapon. Where I live they do not allow the use of a weapon in the city limits. I have to go out of town and do shoot my bow in a area that doesn't allow the use of fireams. I can't even shoot in my driveway using my house as a back stop.

RyanH 04-26-2005 07:52 PM

I shoot mine in the house just make shure the woman is gone:)

wesbowhunt 04-26-2005 09:20 PM

It is considered a gun (as all weapons that shoot projectiles) but not a firearm. Firearms are classified as using powder.

johnch 04-26-2005 09:33 PM

In my local town it is considered a firearm , their def. is anything that propells a projectol is a "firearm".
A freind got charged with Discharging a firearm inside the city limits for target shooting his bow in his fenced in back yard.
Lucky for him ,he went to mayors court ,fined $1. The mayor and several oficers shoot at his house. LOL.
Told if the target and back stop were moved inside and he did the "shooting" in his gardge the do good neibor could not complain .

Johnch

Tuffcity 04-26-2005 09:36 PM

Mooseslayer,
in BC a bow is NOT considered a firearm. Hence the ability to hunt in areas that are closed to the discharge of firearms. Might want to stay out of provincial parks though and some towns have their own bylaws regarding their use.

Here in Sidney (near Victoria) I can shot in the city park across from my house if I want. (yes, I checked with the town hall AND the cops! :D)

RC

ELKINMTCWB 04-26-2005 09:42 PM

It is real bad deal. It is in the eyes of the cop that comes to your house.Some of the copes never say a word some take the bow or paint ball gun from you.

BB guns are FIREARMS. No powder there.

BigJ71 04-26-2005 09:55 PM

A bow is not a firearm nor a gun. Both of those words are used to define a weapon with a metal tube from which a projectile is discharged by the explosion of gunpowder. BTW...technically, a guns definition is restricted to a heavy weapon as a cannon etc... but also applies to rifles, pistols, etc... OR any SIMILAR device not discharged by an explosive as an air gun.

Now how YOUR particular state classifies it is completely different from it's definition...we learned this in the crossbow thread so don't get confused.

So to answer your question, "Is a bow considered a firearm?"....... it depends on who you ask. By it's definition it's not, but your state could classify it as one. Bottom line contact your local authorities and ask.

WA Shooter 04-27-2005 12:24 AM

I believe WA diferentiates between the two as we have shotgun and bow only areas. But we can't carry firearms during bow season, as in a pistol for bear/cat protection, and that goes as far as no slingshots either. Can't have a wrist rocket to shoot grouse with.
Not that this has stopped me from carrying my .45 ACP, I'd rather eat the ticket than be eaten by a cougar.