Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how "ethical" is this ? >

how "ethical" is this ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how "ethical" is this ?

Old 04-26-2005, 06:57 AM

Default how "ethical" is this ?

I am getting into my new home and 5 acres and I walked it again yesterday. Along the line between my property and the next (we all have 5 acres) I bet theres 15-20 scrapes from last year - very nice rub/scrape line. So ......... what if I plant a row of food plots and mineral licks, maybe a feeder or two ......... and then throw up a 6-7 foot high chain link fence along that line and open at either end ? That would kinda force the deer to funnel onto my property and off his. Its only along one side of the property, and the deer have the choice to come on my side of the fence or his ........ I'm going to make sure and give them enough incentive to come onto my side and the fence will make sure they stay on my side

Ethical or not ?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:59 AM

Default RE: how "ethical" is this ?

go for it
Old 04-26-2005, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Save your money on the fence and do your food plots. There will be plenty of deer for you to shoot. Hunt these deer for the convienence factor. Wack them as you have time to deal with the after shot.

Good luck
Old 04-26-2005, 07:30 AM

Forcing deer to funnel isn't a bad idea but I have a couple of diffrent takes on it. The first is it works both ways. Your neighbor could be setting up on his side of the funnel and chopping down the buck you want before it gets to you. Another is the disruption you cause the environment while putting up the fence. It could have possiable negetive impacts.

If this is something you are seriously considering I would consider making your "fence" out of debris from you property and woods. Fallen branches, grass clippings, leaves, ect,ect,ect. You could build an "ECO WALL" out of free waste your land provides you. It'll take longer but cost less and it would keep your property natural.

As to the ethics of it, I would prefer to do it naturally(without a chain link fence) but I don't see it as unethical. I cut out deer paths on my property to encourage deer to travel a particular route through thick cover. This is really no diffrent. If I were in your position I would plant the plots and watch. You may not need to create funnel. The deer will may well have one already picked out that you will just need to find.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:33 AM

I don't see an ethics issue here.... Perhaps a fairchase issue, but not ethics.....
Old 04-26-2005, 08:14 AM

As long as its legal, go for it.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:44 AM

hmmmmmmmm

Is it fair chase then ?

What if I put up the fence, and leave a 20 yard gap in the middle for the deer to come through ? A funnel, man made, very unnatural ........... but has potential to really be a productive spot to hunt ?

I'll likely not do either ......... my serious idea is putting a 4' high fence around my property at some point, low enough to allow animals to come and go but high enough to keep stray dogs off etc

Just wondered what everyones take on the above scenarios were .......... something to ponder
Old 04-26-2005, 09:07 AM

I would say fair chase is opinion based. For instance, I would consider it more fair chase to use a natural barrier than a fence. However, in the end, the same results are desired, to funnel deer.

I once new a guy that would fence off his food plots, except for one gap about 20yds wide. he would put his stands in that gap. Any deer that came to the plot had to go through that gap. That is not fair chase IMO.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I find the idea disgusting and selfish
Old 04-26-2005, 09:17 AM

Fair chase as defined on the Pope & Young website:

The term "Fair Chase" shall not include the taking of animals under the following conditions:

1)Helpless in a trap, deep snow or water, or on ice.
2)From any power vehicle or power boat.
3)By "jacklighting" or shining at night.
4)By the use of any tranquilizers or poisons.
5)While inside escape-proof fenced enclosures.
6)By the use of any power vehicles or power boats for herding or driving animals, including use of aircraft to land alongside or to communicate with or direct a hunter on the ground.
7)By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating, or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached.
8)Any other condition considered by the Board of Directors as unacceptable.

So the only real question is in #8. Since the provisions (as I observe them) spell out in #5 "while in an escape proof fenced enclosure" I interpret it as an enclosure that is not ecsape proof would be ok. A segment of fence certainly dosen't fit the "escape proof enclosure defination".

Quick Reply: how "ethical" is this ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.