Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Video cameras... which ones? >

Video cameras... which ones?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Video cameras... which ones?

Old 04-20-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Video cameras... which ones?

I would love to start taping some of my hunts and just some wildlife in general. I have no idea which cameras are the best. I have stopped in a couple of stores, but I always feel like they are feeding me full of b.s. I am willing to spend whatever it takes to get something nice. Something that can really reach out there. I'm thinking I would like to be able to view something atleast 50 yards out, or is that just out of range.

What do you guys have, and what do you think about them? Tell me how far out you can film and still get quality pics.

Casey
Old 04-20-2005, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Video cameras... which ones?

welcome to the world of video! yes it is hard to find the camera that fits your needs, u first need to decide what u want out of it.
1. is the picture quality most important?
2. is the long range veiw most important?
3. and what about size?
4. digital, or not?
here is what i bought CANON ELURA 70, heres why
1. it has 1,330,000 pixels= how good picture quality is average is 800,000
2. it is a digital, record by tape or by memory card, it also takes still pictures
3. it is small, about the size of a grapefruit!
4.optical zoom of 18, that is the important zoom, it also has 360 digital zoom, not so important
5.and of coarse image stablize, real important
6. the price= $450-550.00 depends on what software comes with it, and what memory card.
hope this gives u some idea, oh and 50 yards u can count the hairs on their back at that range!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 PM

There are so many choices out there today that it is mind boggling. I am a Sony Fan. I have been taping from my treestand for over 5 years now. I'm on my second Sony Camera. The first one still works but I wanted to upgrade to a 3 CCD camera. I now have the Sony DCR TRV 950 which is no longer in production. It is a Mini DV tape camera with 3 CCD chips. I believe the newer models are the VX2000 and VX2100. Some things to look at are the carmera zoom which you addressed in your post. Optical Zoom is everything. Forget about Digital Zoom because you will quickly learn that digital zoom degrades your picture. I turn it off and never have a need for it. Most Sony Cameras have a 12X Opitical Zoom which is fine for shooting wildlife from a stand or blind. I have taken video from several hundred yards away with 12X opitcal and you can count points. I would go with the camera that can shoot in the lower numbers when LUX is concerned. I believe my camera is rated at 7 LUX and in very low light I can see the animal but to dark to video. Some cameras are in the 3 LUX range which is excellent. My camera has a 37MM lens. The VX2000 and 2100 are somewhere around 52MM. The larger being better because it allows you to shoot in lower light. The Mini DV format is stable and I will continue to use it even if I was to buy a new camera today. I know tha Canon offers some video cameras with a 16X zoom however I had a friend that was using a high end Canon (XL1) and there were times when he lost some excellent video because of a moisture over ride which shuts down the camera. This was on a foggy morning and he should not have had that problem. I was hunting the same morning and in the same area and my Sony worked. The LCD screen is important because if you are hunting you will be using the LCD most of the time. I also feel that Zoom controls on top of the camera (as the VX2100 has) will become very important to you. I use a TreePod Camera Mount to secure my camera to the tree. They work very well. Forget about anything that will attach the camera to you bow. Also make sure you get a top loading camera (to change tapes) or you will have to remove your camera from the mount every time to change tapes with anything else. Batteries. This is very important. Do not get a camera that does not have a battery that you cant take off while you are hunting. In cold weather they have half their normal life. I carry two batteries all the time and can change a battery in seconds. Do a search on the camera that I have. I know there are still reviews out there. I like the newer Sony Cameras with the larger optics (I believe it's 52MM and controls on top of the handle as well as the back of the camera. Dont rush into buying a camera. Do some research. In the long run you will be much happiers. One other thing to think about. While in the outdoors the weather can change at any minute. I invested alot in my camera so I also purchased a Porta Brace Rain Slicker to cover my camera in rain, snow, drizzle. They cost about $160 but are well worth it when you consider you may have thousands into a camera. This is a subject I could talk about for some time. These are jsut some of my thoughts. Hope they help you out.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:42 PM

as far as using a canon in the cold and rain not a problem, i have a spring turkey at 7 yards in the rain on film if u would like to know how they work with humidity. and it also has the controls on the top of the camera, and loads from the top! and what pixels does that SONY have because that is where the good quality film comes from? as u can see i am not a SONY guy! they over price everything they make! just my thoughts!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

i am considering a canon gl, which i found the cheapest online at about $1800. looking for a professional camera to shoot some real hunting movies. does anybody have any experience with any professional models?
brad
Old 04-20-2005, 09:50 PM

Manboy you have me kind of confused. Are you talking about a still camera or a video camera. Megapixels (Example 4, 5 or 6 Megapixels) are terms used in digital still photograhy. In a video camera the quality of the film is enhanced by the number of CCD's in the camera. Three being the best quality in a Mini DV camera. My video camera does have a memory stick in it and I can take still photo's even while taking video. Those captures are at 3 Mega Pixels. That has nothing to do with the video capture. By todays standards 3 Mega Pix is pretty low but will still give you a fairly good 8 x 10 photo. Also I did not address the image stalizer. There are two types Optical and Electronic. Optical being the better. Oh before I forget I dont use my video camera to take stills even tho it is capable.

I am not saying that your camera is not a good camera I was just stating my opinion. We all have our preferences. If you like Canon stick with them. When it comes to still camera's and lenses I buy Canon. Include flashes in that also. They are the best in my opinion. You will find alot of photographer's that will beg to differ with me on that as well. When it comes to video I'm staying with Sony. They have proven themselves to me in all conditions.

Someone asked for some advise and I gave it to them. Thats my opinion for what it's worth. I really don't care what anyone decides to buy that is their choice. I was just giving my input. One more thing. Take any electronic device in the elements unprotected for very long and you will be looking for a new one soon. If you dont believe me watch any pro sports event where weather is involved. They all have their camera's covered.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

check out a sony pd-170. its awesome in low light!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a canon GL-2 for the money it's a good choice for quality video. I am working on a shed hunting video now and the footage has been turning out great.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:52 PM

Bull you are correct. That is one awesome camera. I just wish I could afford one.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:14 PM

to clear thinks up, my camera has 1.3 megapixels, so not the full 3.0
as good as film as mine takes i can't imagine the picture of a 3.0![:-]

Quick Reply: Video cameras... which ones?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.