Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I want to hear about bad broadheads? >

I want to hear about bad broadheads?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I want to hear about bad broadheads?

Old 04-18-2005, 08:24 PM

Default I want to hear about bad broadheads?

Seems when people ask about a certain kind of broadhead, they get a dozen responses from people that say they are great heads, very rarely does someone respond with something negative, leads one to think all broadheads are good heads.

Well I want to hear about BAD broadhead experiences, heads you wouldnt recommend and why? (leave the fixed or mechanical debate out of this). I tried 100 grain muzzys for 1 year and hit two deer, both with very poor penetration, 1 recovered, 1 lost. Went back to the 100 gr thunderheads and havent looked back.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 PM

Default RE: I want to hear about bad broadheads?

Pucketts Bloodtraiilers - they sucked IMO. I also didn't like the Vortex heads because they cut too much, althought with enough poundage behind them I could see them being lethal. I had a free pack of Crimson Talon heads and thought they sucked for blade sharpness and they seemed flimsy too.

Nothing wrong with Muzzy's although my Dad has had a couple of bent ferrules using them.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Satelite Aeroheads! Don't know if they even make them any more, but they were the first replaceable blade head I ever bought. I fixed up a dozen arrows with 'em, stuck them in a Cat quiver and went to the woods one day. When I got out of the truck and grabbed my stuff, the bottom fell off the quiver and all my arrows hit the pavement. I spent the next 15 minutes picking blades up off the ground. Took 'em home and trashed 'em. They left me with a great distaste for broadheads that don't have a very positive blade retention system.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Triska 100 gr. mechanicals.

I took a 10 yard spine shot on a nice 8 pointer 4 years ago. I stuck that arrow perfectly in the spine and it penetrated about 1"

Keep in mind that I shoot 76 pounds at 293 f.p.s.

I went to the muzzys and have taken one with a spine shot since. 100% penetration.

I got my arrow back from the first shot - the broadhead had one blade left on it, bent into a curly Q. Apparently, they can't stand up to a heavy bone. I gave them all away to some other fool who had bad luck with 'em too.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:54 AM

quiksilver,
Just wondering why you'd take a spine shot on a deer with a bow in the first place. I guess it's a good way to drop an animal, but I would think it would be a slow death and also have a lot of chance for error. Just wondering the reasoning.

Paul
Old 04-19-2005, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sattelite Titans, Great head shape with a weak bleader. My biggest hick-up was I couldn't get them SCARY sharp. I had a couple of peolpe try and help, but no-one could get them to cut hair with consistancy. Some blades were so-so sharp, others were play-doe knife dull.

Gold tip gladiators- did not like they way they flew, or looked- just plain cheesy IMHO.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I gotta agree with Booney. Taking a spine shot is not the test of a broadhead's quality. I'm not saying those broadheads are good or bad, but even the best penetrating broadhead will fail if you center punch a vertebrae. Not a good idea IMO.

The worst broadhead I ever used were Puckett's Bloodtrailers as well. Terrible in storing energy while opening, the blades were very wobbly and not sharp, and I had the ferrule come apart on one.[:'(]
Old 04-19-2005, 11:42 AM

Thunderheads; good penatration but have lost blades on hitting a rib. Flew very straight.
Muzzys; good penatration, never lost a blade but don't fly as consistant as thunderheads.
When all is said and done, I use Muzzy's. I don't shoot beond 30 yds and the Muzzy's stil group well at that range.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Satellite aero were a bad head. Blades were so frail.

Right now I am shooting Vortex mini max 3 intended for turkeys. In just shooting some to practice, going thru cheapo wal mart foam target, the blades get driven down into the brass retaining washer. I'd never use these on deer after seeing this.

For the record I have never lost a blade on a T-head in over 20 some deer, including shoulder and spine hits.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:49 PM

rybo im with you on the thunder head thing i have never had a blade come off ive been shooting them for like 5 years 9 deer and other small game... I would have to say the worst b-head yet would be a muzzy that is what i used for the first deer hit him perfect, i got no penitration and no blood, but one bad thing isn't really enough for me to judge them i just quit using them.

Quick Reply: I want to hear about bad broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.