Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bad Hunting Shows on the Outdoor Channel >

Bad Hunting Shows on the Outdoor Channel

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad Hunting Shows on the Outdoor Channel

Old 09-16-2002, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bad Hunting Shows on the Outdoor Channel

I just recently got the dish network. The other night before I went in to work at the hospital I set my vcr to tape about 6 hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel that were scattered among the infomercials and those God awful panning for gold shows. I just sat down and watched them and the amount of inept hunters, unethical behavior and outright lies by the narrators was shocking. In one show called Ozark Moutain Outdoors a guy stalked up to a supposedly wild deer. The deer is facing him and staring straight at him but for some reason not scared or running away. (See comment on supposedly wild) Then he takes a shoot with his bow "Head on" The arrow hits just in front of the right
shoulder and penetrated all of about 6 inches. To make it worse the voice over proclaims, "Great hit that looks like a perfect double lunger" I nearly snorted ice tea out of my nose. On another show whose name escapes me these guys are hunting Bison out west. First to say these Bison were easy prey is an understatement on par with calling a category 5 hurricane "windy". They were cattle folks. There are children in my family that are wilder. One guy after a masterful stalk in the wide open wearing blaze orange unleashes an arrow. We are not shown were it hit the Bison but the voice over assures us it was a great hit. Then we flash foward to the same guy approaching the same Bison again. The voice over says that the Bison is mortally hit already but our guy is gonna put another arrow in him to take him on out. He shoots and hits the bison right behind the shoulder. The Bison walks about 10 yards and turns to the left. Just before he goes down you can breifly but clearly see what is obviously the first arrow "HANGING OUT OF THE LEFT CHEEK OF HIS ASS" Do the people who make these shows think we are idiots? I cringe at the thought of children watching this kind of dishonest, inept and unethical display. What do you guys think?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:40 PM

Default RE: Bad Hunting Shows on the Outdoor Channel

I don't have the dish, I have Direct tv. But I have seen some God awful "hunting shows" that are unethical and unsafe. Even in my favorite shows and video series : Monster Bucks and The Truth series there are some unsafe shots of guest hunters climbing stands carrying there bow/rifle. If you are familiar with the Monster Buck series, watch the first video "monster bucks of north america". Former NFL quarterback Steve Bartkowski takes a horrible shot on a buck hitting him in the hindquarter. The voice over says" Despite Steve's less than perfect shot, his 80lb bow does the job. Of course they never show the full body of the deer when Steve is grabbing the rack. I give them a little slack because it was there first video and they have made some of the finest around after that.

I was considering changing over to Dish but now I'm having second thoughts. How is Ted Nugent series on the Dish?
Old 09-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ted nugent is good on the outdoor channel. They usually have a lot of advertisements but you gotta pay for the show somehow. Plus he doesn't lie and try to cover up if he ever got a semi bad shot.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ted nugent is good on the outdoor channel. They usually have a lot of advertisements but you gotta pay for the show somehow. Plus he doesn't lie and try to cover up if he ever got a semi bad shot.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:44 PM

Maybe the people who edit the shows are media and not hunters. Just saw a commercial for scent away and carbon express sunday and it shows a bull elk facing the camera and shows the arrow released flying to the left of his left shoulder. The elk was definitely not quartering to the right but was barely shifted right. Could have caught the left lung but not a quality shot to take. They need to pay a panel of hunters to preview this stuff to prevent bad shots getting on the air. Better yet don't take those shots in the first place.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-16-2002, 02:50 PM

How about the canned hunts,with exotic animals from Africa.They give hunting a bad name.The people that use these places pay a high prices to kill these animals,real sport huh.

Joe
Old 09-16-2002, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Todd,

Dude, you didn't get the Dish PVR unit?! You don't know what you are missing. Screw the VCR, see if the PVR unit is available in your area. 35 hours of digitally recorded tv. Go to the guide check the shows you want to record by name & time and forget about it. It will record every week for you and you don't even have to remember to set the timer on your VCR.

I usually watch Mossy Oak, Realtree, The Truth, Ted Nugent, Keith Warren, & Team Fitzgerald on the outdoor channel. On TNN you can catch Secrets of the Hunt as well. I've pretty much weeded out all of the other crap that is on there.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:22 PM

Crap I Missed - This one is for you. I thought I was the only one that hated that tune. Thought for sure I was on the wrong planet as often as that show is aired.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

There a good ones, adequate ones and then the awful ones like the ones you mentioned above, you can put Keith Warren and Mike Cooley into the awful ones too.

Go to the Outdoor Channel website and voice your opinion. I don't know of much more ways to show our disapproval. Seems like as long as you pay your bill, you can show about anything.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>

Quick Reply: Bad Hunting Shows on the Outdoor Channel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.