Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How good of a shooter to hunt? >

How good of a shooter to hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How good of a shooter to hunt?

Old 04-01-2005, 05:39 PM

Default How good of a shooter to hunt?

This may be too open ended, but how would I rate my ability as to whether I'm "ready to hunt?"

My neighbor, who had never shot, was invited to in April go on a treestand whitetail bow hunt in Sept. They told him to shoot all summer and he should be able to hit a paper plate consistently at 20 yds. I was doing that from almost my first day, depending on your definition of consistent.

I have been shooting for about four months, and at 20 yds am hitting in a 4 inch diameter about 90% of the time. Every dozen or so has an errant flyer or two. I have no idea how that rates.

It would seem to me that the question would be, what distance can you hit a paper plate "consistently", and use that as your max range.

I am wanting to go with friends or a guide for an elk this fall. How would you say I should rate my shooting to decide if I'm ready?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How good of a shooter to hunt?

keep practicing and i think you will be ready .Don't shoot farther than your ability to shoot tight groups
Old 04-01-2005, 06:22 PM

Keep practicing. You're ready....
Old 04-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your ready. As for your neighbor though he might want to get to practicing. IMO i donno if i agree with that whole your good if you can hit a paper plate at 20 yards. IMO you should hit a silver dollar at that range let alone a paper plate. And as far as your elk hunting trip you might want to extend your range from 20 yards if you havent already.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it's a matter of how good of groups you shoot as to what distance you shoot them. And I hate that thing about shooting paper plates. Plates are for serving food on. Targets are what you aim at to shoot. Getting back to accuracy. The vital area on a deer is apporx. 8". That might mean that at whatever distance you can keep 100% of your arrows inside an 8" area wouls be your maximum effective range. But that is shooting at a paper target under target conditions. There is no adrenilin rush going on. There is no hyperventilating and heart pounding. The muscles are warmed up and not stiff. Most likely you don't have all the clothes on that you'll wear during hunting season. All these things tend to make your group sizes grow, maybe to double the size.

So when it comes down to it your maximum shooting distance should be about at the distance you can shoot 4" groups during practice. Yeh, you might want to argue that you or other have killed deer beyond these recommendations. People get lucky. What I'm saying is to be truely ethical about it you have to look at your own abilities, and not exceed them. 100% of the time.

Not bragging but I'll give you something to shoot for. I just got a brand new bow wednesday. I got it set up and am in the tuning process right now. It'll be forever before I'm satisfied. But, I was out shooting it today to decide which of 4 different arrows shoot the best out of it. I was shooting 2 1/2" groups at 30 yards---and there is nothing on the string but a nockset and two string leeches. No kisser and no peep. And this is only the second time I shot the bow.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Practice doen't make perfect. It just makes you better. Keep it up and you'll be dialed in in no time at all.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too don't like the pie plate guide. 4" at whatever is your maximum range. Be sure to practice with hunting clothes on it will mess with your shot.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

BGfisher, I agree with you and add that I practice with all my hunting clothes and even elk calls/bugle tube around my ncek. Also very inportant for any elk bowhunter, (and I do it as well) is to practice shooting with your pack loaded and on your back.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:32 PM

Wow, I like this forum. Thanks guys. BGfisher, I don't take that as bragging at all. Something to shoot for was what I was after.

If I'm gonna need to keep 100% inside 4 inches, I got work to do, even under target conditions. I'm also gonna have to become a real good hunter, but that's exactly why I picked up a bow in the first place.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I too don't like the pie plate guide. 4" at whatever is your maximum range. Be sure to practice with hunting clothes on it will mess with your shot.
Oh, I wasn't clear enough. It was actually a salad plate. Probably doesn't change your advice any?

Quick Reply: How good of a shooter to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.