Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How good of a shooter to hunt? >

How good of a shooter to hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How good of a shooter to hunt?

Old 04-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How good of a shooter to hunt?

Hey Jones you should get a deer target and practice with it. When I did this it is was a WORLD of difference than shooting at a plate on a hay bail, especially if you plan on hunting. For me this was a big help in my shooting. That and rangefinder. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jones123
I have been shooting for about four months, and at 20 yds am hitting in a 4 inch diameter about 90% of the time. Every dozen or so has an errant flyer or two. I have no idea how that rates.

It would seem to me that the question would be, what distance can you hit a paper plate "consistently", and use that as your max range.
You've got the whole concept summed up pretty well right here.

It would seem to me that the question would be, what distance can you hit a paper plate "consistently", and use that as your max range.

Take that down to your 4 inches and you'll be in pretty good shape. I use a snuff can.

The pie plate may still result in a kill but if your best is a pie plate on a nice flat range at a distance you know and shooting dead styrafoam you'll never do it on a live animal in an open field.

In an attempt to give you a similar feeling think about taking your 3d target which is probably a lot bigger than just a pie plate and put that in front a cement block wall to shoot at it. Now tell me how far away you'd take your evenings target practice at it. You've got nothing at risk but about a 5 dollar arrow. In the field you risk wounding or wasting a living game animal.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Dominant Buck

The old paper plate sized group is stupid. You really need to shoot better than that. You with your 4 inch groups are up to the task. The occasional flyers you get could be and probably are caused by a couple different things. First off, it could be the arrow. The next time you get a flyer mark the arrow. See how THAT arrow shoots over and over. More than likely it's caused by a breakdown in form. Usually a flier comes from too much palm into the bow. Big grips will cause it too. Again just a matter of torque. Could be follow through, change in anchor etc also, but usually it's the bow hand causing the real problems.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:52 AM

Punching paper at a range is a good way to practice form, and get used to your bow. I think everyone will agree that this is a little different then the real thing. I would suggest that you do some 3d shoots. This will give you some practice in the wind, sun, and different yardages. There is do way to practice an adrenaline rush, but practice, practice, practice will give you confidence...good luck.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 AM

It's not just how small your groups are, I have seen people hit paper plates at 80 yards all day. More than groups are concerned, make sure your shooting limits are computed in your head before you hit the woods. When you are hunting you are shooting cold, in the woods, and at a live "reactive" target. Tune your broadheads ahead of time so you know what you have to work with. Good Luck
Old 04-04-2005, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Hey Jones you should get a deer target and practice with it. When I did this it is was a WORLD of difference than shooting at a plate on a hay bail, especially if you plan on hunting. For me this was a big help in my shooting. That and rangefinder. Good luck.
I agree 100%. Just keep practicing
Old 04-04-2005, 10:05 AM

funny thing is .......... some of the BEST shooters suck at deer hunting.

Compound accuracy is MUCH different than recurve/longbow accuracy too.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

What you really have to ask yourself is - Do you feel confident enough in your shootingg to make a shot that is ethical and will down the animal in the most humane way possible. If you can look yourself in the eye and answer that then you are ready and are a good enough shot....
Old 04-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jonesy, ya see what you started? I've read all the posts on here. Some are better than others, but they're all good. Everybody is adding a little bit to the puzzle. I commend you for even asking for the information. Most just assume they are good enough when they can hit a paper plate, when they don't even have a clue.
Best thing I can say is at least you have the concern to get better. Now it's time to keep on practicing. And practice FORM, trying to do the same thing every time. But don't forget to have some fun. 3D shoots are a good way to have that fun, and a good way to hone other skills as well. It's totally different than shooting paper. Paper is where you sharpen your form. 3D and hunting is where you put into practice what you've learned.

And never be afraid to come back here for advice, or ask others wherever you are shooting. We might bust on you a bit, but remember that that's all in fun, too.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:15 PM

Forget groups. IMO your maximum range is how ever far you can hit the kill zone
every
time on the first shot of the day, without "warming up".

For me, I KNOW I can hit the heart at 20yds on the very first shot everyday, even when not practicing for months. Now, after I've practices a few weeks, that distance gets longer. By the time the season rolls arounds I can smoke the kill zone at 30 yds or so everytime on the first shot of everyday. So, for me I limit my shots at deer to 30yds.

Quick Reply: How good of a shooter to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.