Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

target panic

Old 03-25-2005, 10:22 PM

Default target panic

what do you do if you have target panic?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:51 PM

Default RE: target panic

let it go.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to try the scott releases with the spring trigger?? They are supposed to provide a more surprised release than the regular steel tab.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:08 AM

Whenever I think I'm getting target panic, I just sit the bow down for about 3 weeks. It has worked everytime. Target panic is not something that is easy to work through, so I just do this and it works.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Simple: Don't do it.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have the worst target panic you have ever seen about 12 years ago. With out spending any extra money there are a few things to try depending on what type of target panic you have. I took all my pins off but one, tightened the trigger tension on my release, and put myself through a regiment of pulling back, holding on the target until I had to let down without shooting to reinforce the fact that I could have released the arrow at any time but chose not to. I then spent ALOT of time doing blind bale practice. If you can spend some money the answer release is a great tool for anti punching, as well as a triggerless release(back tension). These methods took me from hitting the ground 50% of the time at 20 yards, to a state 3-D title.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard that if you picture the target naked it helps.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:33 AM

Elkcrazy, has some good ideas there for you.

I also suffered from a horrible case of TP, a good number of years ago.

The best things to do are to;

A. Make sure your bow fits you perfectly. Draw length should be right on. Draw weight should be very light, so that its easy to draw back using the proper muscles. You should be able to pre-aim your pin, and draw back without struggling, or moving the pin much.

B. STOP SHOOTING

C. Make a bow simulator. A simple wooden handle, with a string through both ends. It should reach your perfect draw and allow you to hook your release aid to it.

D. Stand in front of a mirror and using perfect repeatable form, practice "shooting" your new bow simulator. It will teach you to use back tension to trigger your release. Back tension is the only way to cause a surprise release that doesnt lead to target panic. If you're mentally "triggering" your release, you will always anticipate the shot, and thats what target panic mainly consists of.

E. After a few weeks of shooting your bow simulator, pick up your bow, and shoot it at a blank target. (no bullseye) Just practice getting that feel you have with the simulator. (Keep the simulator around, and use it before you shoot, or on days when you cant shoot)

F. After a week or two of shooting your bow with no target. Add a target, and stay close. Concentrate on the target and not on your pin. Aiming is not forcing your bow or pin to point at the spot. Aiming, is simply staring and concentrating on the spot. RE-Learn how to AIM.

G. As you gain confidence in your new shooting style, work your way back to distances you had been shooting before. If you ever feel the TP creeping back in....Take out the bow simulator. Use that thing as often as you can.

I also wrote up a giant article on TP, so if you have any more questions, just contact me, I can give you a link.

Best of luck overcoming it----Matt
Old 03-27-2005, 11:47 AM

Im a fan of the draw aim but do not release method mentioned above. Do this a dozen times for every arrow you shoot, makes a big difference
Old 03-27-2005, 12:20 PM

There are some excellant suggestions that have been given.I would like to express my opinion.I have also sufferred terribly from target panic.So bad at one point I almost gave up the sport.Thankfully through dilligence I have overcome the malady.If Bernie Pellerite's and his wife are ever in your area take his weekend archery course.Quite likely the best money I ever spent.He advocates much of what the other posters have said.Make sure you are at a comfortable draw weight.If you can't hold your bow pointing it straight at your target and draw your string straight back without making a face you are over bowed.
One of the most important things if not the most important thing is to relax.You don't have to shoot.If it doesn't feel right don't shoot.The professionals let down 1 of every 3 shots.Take your time between arrows,whats the rush?I often practice with one arrow,even at distances of 50 and 60 yards.I think about my shot while retrieving the arrow and walking back,it also allows your body to become reoxygenated.
Executing your shots with back tension is critical.Have a pro shop owner who knows what they are doing measure your draw length,most archers draw length is to long and there stances are not open enough.Blind bale practice really helps.Get about 3 or 4 feet away from your target(so you cant miss)draw back and close your eyes and execute the shot while relaxed and calm and "feel" what it is supposed to feel like.Continue to practice in that way while imbedding that feeling in your subconscious mind.
Depending on the severity of your TP will dictate the release that you should use.Scotts spring trigger may work or the Answer release may work.I had to go completely to back tension.I went two seasons practicing,3d shoots and hunting with a pure back tension release,thats how bad my case was.Now I use a release that I trigger with my pinky,actually My pinky is laid on it and i fire the release with back tension.I may miss an opportunity at an animal some day because I can't stomp on the trigger but thats okay my shooting style forces me to aim. All of this is a journey and an effort but it is one worth taking!
I would suggest you look in to purchasing Bernie Pellerite's book.I have his tape series.Why not shorten the learning curve if you can.
Best Wishes!!

Quick Reply: target panic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.