Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ghillie Suits

Old 03-25-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Ghillie Suits

Can everyone please inlighten me about ghillie suits. I am new to archery and I am thinking about using a ghillie. I am going to be hunting alone this year and I have several lands that I can hunt. So I really do not want a blind nor a tree stand. Too many sugeries on the knees to be climbing.

Also is the bowhunter ghillie worth it. Or should 1 just snip the length arounf the areas where needed so that it does not interfer with the bow. It seems that the 1 made for bow hunting shows to musc. I think it needs more 3d in the fromt> I have no idea.

So please if you have ideas or suggestion I would greatly appreciate all info possible.

Thanks[]
Old 03-25-2005, 09:57 AM

Default RE: Ghillie Suits

I don't have much experience with Ghillie's but they sure seem to work pretty well for others. I do about half my bow hunting from the ground and have been thinking about Ghillies for years. My only problem with them is all the thorn, brush, and thistle in the area I hunt. It's tough enough to deal with using regular camo so I can imagine it would be imposible with all the fabric of a Ghillie suit.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

There's certainly a place for a Ghillie, but it's not necessarily best suited for all terrain. A friend of mine who hunts a great deal off the ground uses his only when the ground cover will permit. He's made modifications that keep the bow string clear and has done very well going undetected. I know him to rely greatly on lighter, leafy wear camo in the really thick stuff... placing more emphasis on a full face mask and breaking up his outline when the cover is sparse.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

I wonder just how well those could work for use with a bow and arrow? I don't even use my 3D camo with mine.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I safety pin plastic leaves all over my camo jacket,Lot cheaper and you change color as the season changes
Old 03-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

My luck, one of the safety pins would pop open and jag me at just the wrong time. [:@]
Old 03-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't suggest a ghillie suit for archery or at least the real deal. The loose vegetation is an obstacal when shooting a bow. String clearance is a big factor to consider before suiting up.