Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shattered my first carbon arrow!!! >

Shattered my first carbon arrow!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shattered my first carbon arrow!!!

Old 03-23-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Shattered my first carbon arrow!!!

I was shooting yesterday at my block. I pulled the arrows out and walked back to my 15 yard mark. I went to nock the arrow and noticed that the nock wasn't there. I examind the arrow and found that it had cracked. I figured that this would happen if the arrows had hit into one another, but they didn't. Does anybody know how it could have happened. Is there anything i can do to stop that from happening or is it just the name of the game.

It was a vaper arrow by blackhawk.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Shattered my first carbon arrow!!!

i shot the same arrows and have never had one just break like that. i have hit rocks, deer and other arrows that have caused this but not just shooting. you are suppose to check them before each shot because that arrow could explode it your face if you don't notice a crack. i have had nothing but good luck with these arrows so may you just got a crappy one. if it happens again, i would check in touch with someone. hope this helps
Old 03-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

I have had one arrow break from shooting it! I was shooting with a swing set in the backround (no kids playing) and I hit the rope that held the swing. Not sure why or how but the arrow snapped in half! Not sure if the rope wrapped around the arrow or what.

If you haven't hit anything, your arrows may be underspined!

J
Old 03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Had your arrows hit previously on another shooting session and perhaps you didn't see the nock was cracked?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:17 PM

I blew out the back of two carbons just recently. Basically the same thing that you saw but mind did whack into something on the way to the target. our indoor 3-d coarse has a few shots in which you have to go through y's or shoot under and stuff. Well, I jerked and heard ping ping pink and watched the knocks go flying off in the air. No real damage to the arrow except the nock end was cracked up. tossed them to the shop owner and he cuts them down for kids arrows after checking to see if anything else was wrong with them. Probably horribly overspun for most kids though and he admited that.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've cracked the nock end of a bunch of carbons when I hit something hard and the nock wedged the shaft so bad it split. I've also whacked a rock and had the insert and all the shaft's guts come spiralling out of the shaft when I picked it up. That's happened a couple of times with Gold Tips. I've also snapped quite a few in two when hitting a metal target stand. They always break about a half inch in front of the fletches.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:38 PM

Yeah, my two favourite carbons breaks were 1. Hitting the target to close to a tree and having the whip snap the back of the arrow off when it made contact with the branch. Just seein ghis bright orange and black object flying through the air was painful. The other was a bionic turkey in which I missed the whole. Drove the point about 2 inches up the shaft and blew the knock off the back end. I think the knock landed like 2 yards in front of me. Oh well, 6-10 bucks an arrow makes you learn to shoot a little better.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite carbon break was shooting a 3D. I was just releasing when a horsefly bit me on the back of the neck. I jerked the shot, the arrow hit a tree on one side of the lane, ricocheted across and bounced off a tree on the other side, back across and hit another tree and broke. The tip and about 6" of shaft stuck in the 12-ring. The arrow never hit the ground, so I was allowed to count it. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Depending on the types of nocks you use, they could have caused it. I bought a dozen Gold Tip arrows that came with the nocks with the little allen wrench screw in the back so you could tighten them in...If you tighten them too much the imapct from hitting the target can cause them to split.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Any chance there was an old insert lodged in your Block? I've seen a few stay in the target media that were'nt glued in properly when the arrow was pulled from the target. Sometimes striking an insert with a point attached burried in the target will blow a nock. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Shattered my first carbon arrow!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.