Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many people pack into and the woods on a mt. bike? >

How many people pack into and the woods on a mt. bike?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many people pack into and the woods on a mt. bike?

Old 03-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default How many people pack into and the woods on a mt. bike?

I am going to be hunting a big parcel of public land this fall and there are some spots that I would really like to get to that are a good 3/4 to a 1 mile, 1 mile and a quarter back in, but the thought of packing in a climber or lock on, my backpack, bow and walking that whole way doesn't excite me a whole lot. I will and am certainly not afraid of the work involved, but there are nice groomed grass trails where if I had a mt. bike....I could get there with some ease, take 1/4 of the time and probably be a lot more quiet getting there. Does anyone pack in with a mt. bike and/or do you have any pics of your bike setup?? Anyone know where to get accessories to put on your bike like a bow holder that would go onto the front handle bars, etc...

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:51 AM

Default RE: How many people pack into and the woods on a mt. bike?

I do for scouting but for hunting the DNR in Georgia will not allow it. I would if I could.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:36 AM

i do but i don't have any picks. you can buy a bow holder that will fit on a mt. bike or 4 wheeler at bass pro shops or probably cabelas. It is the only way to go. where i hunt during the week is a public area that has gravel roads but you can't take a vehicle in just walk or bike. I can get 2 miles deep in 10 min. instead of 30, big difference and you can get away form the crowds as well. I bought a lone wolf climber ( 16 lbs & folds to 3 inch. ) hope this helps and good luch.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:17 AM

I used to all the time in Washington. Ride in the gravel roads then hunt. There is a great handle bar rack for your bow. I believe they are made for ATV's but they work well for mountain bikes as well. Nice thing is we could get 4 miles back in no time at all. You can get a deer out on the bike as well but it takes a little work.
Good luck!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:28 AM

I was hunting last year and a guy came through on a mt. bike about 1.5 hrs. before sunset...he made all kinds of racket and was cussing because his stand kept falling off the little trailer he had hooked up to his bike. I didn't see any deer that night and have a bad impression of people that use bikes.[:@]
Old 03-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

So in other words MO...you don't have any useful information about mt. bike accessories for me then. Thanks for posting though. Run that post total up.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:30 AM

Xtec, MO actually made a good point- Make sure all of your gear is strapped down before you go. Although you make more noise walking, having a treestand falling off a bike makes more noise. I did remember a guy that had a pic on these forums. It looked like a solid rig. I'll try to dig it up.

Here's the post:

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...2Cbike&#772546
Old 03-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

I really appreciate the link zak. I don't think MO wasn't trying to make any other point other than to b*tch.

Again...Thanks!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:06 PM

No I wasn't really complaining, well kinda, but learn from what I saw and strap down your stuff so it doesnt fall out. Also if there are any hills where you hunt, IMO, it would be easier to walk in the pull a cart behind a bike. I know where I hunt a bike would seem to be more of a nuisance than a help.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

I buddy of mine would scout turkeys on a mountain bike, but only in areas that accomodate wheeled transportation. I've never done it and probably never will, as the majority of my hunting locations are not cycle friendly. I however often wished I had one when fishing... chained to a tree where I climb out of the water of course. Walking the stream in waders only to have to hike a mile or more back to the truck can be a major pain in the ... feet.

Quick Reply: How many people pack into and the woods on a mt. bike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.