Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please tell me just one negative to crossbows >

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Old 03-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

First things first. If you can group like that at 30 yards with your recurve my hats off to you! I could however take your recurve and shoot groups at 20 yards which is my maximum traditional shooting distance , given enough time to get the feel for your bow.

Second. You act like anyone who picks up a compound can stack arrows in 10 minutes. Thats funny because even with todays super awesome compound technology I see guys at the range who cant hit a pie plate consistantly at 20yds! And they've been shooting for years!
But I guess since you can do it everyone can. Right?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:28 PM

BOWFANATIC - you can shoot farther with your compound ? How is that ?

Oh yeah, thats right - because its FRICKIN EASIER AND MORE ACCURATE

Actually, I can shoot that good. I mean, duh, you draw, put the pin on the target, squeeze the trigger ......... not really a whole lot to it, is there ?

My father in law, never shot a bow, shot as well as I did. My co-worker, the same. Compound are simple to shoot, they really are. Gee, not unlike a crossbow
Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM

If Fred has used a compound he'd have killed more animals than Chuck ever will
Watch it now..........

I read in Chuck's book that he shot traditional and compound equally well. Never though of one being harder than the other... I found that interesting as most would say the opposite.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:28 PM

you watch it buddy ! I've got a mini Chuck shrine and I buy the leather bound Chuck books as they come off the press !

Chuck did say he shot recurves well - but also that he uses a compound because it gives him more advantages. He also uses fingers often if not always.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

BOWFANATIC - you can shoot farther with your compound ? How is that ?

Oh yeah, thats right - because its FRICKIN EASIER AND MORE ACCURATE
Your a piece of work I'll give ya that much! A bow is as accurate as the shooter! PERIOD!!! If I made an honest effort to shoot long range with my recurve I could extend the yardage.

My hunting range is......drum roll please....20 yards![] I've NEVER , I'll say it again ....NEVER killed anything beyond 20 yards.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. That is , if you can agree to that?[&:]
Old 03-22-2005, 05:20 PM

Your a piece of work I'll give ya that much! A bow is as accurate as the shooter! PERIOD!!! If I made an honest effort to shoot long range with my recurve I could extend the yardage.
no no BOWFANATIC don't you know because i can shoot 3 shots inside an inch with my rifle everyone can dosen't matter if you flinch or not

Now we have anti-handicap sentiments ? Those are the ones I really like, statements that bash handicap hunters for doing whatever they need to to enjoy october archery hunting
where the hell did i bash the handicap? they can and have been able to hunt with xbows here in pa for as long as i can remember. however when i stated what i did i ment if they are in a state that dosen't allow them to they shouldn't be allowed to just like everyone else can't. nothing their is bashing the handicap! RULES APPLY TO EVERYONE!

BOWFANATIC - Lets make a handgun season, seperate fromrifle hunters. Yeah, yeah, that’s
where did that come from?? if i have a 7mm08 pistol it will shoot the same bullet/load/ around the speed of a rifle and have as much energy as the 7mm08 rifle. so that was a pretty bad example if you ask me

Now ........ can you take my recurve and keep all the arrows in that mcKenzie ? If you can ..... well, you're lying if you say you can. I can't even keep them all in and its my bow and I practice a bit and am a fair shot. I've shot enough to know,
well i am a fair shot with a compound and can't keep them all in the McKenzie at 40-50 yards. that is WHY i don't shoot that far. know you limits and don't complan about them. "want a good example to go with this?" i shoot a 35 reminton with open sights. at 200 yards i know i couldn't hit a milk jug 20 times in a row. i also have a scoped 243 and i could hit that milk jug as many times in a row as i wanted! dose that mean we shouldn't be allowed to use scoped rifles during rifle season because it is to easy???[&:]

i don't care what people have to say. i don't think their should be guys like me sitting up in a tree waiting for deer to come within 30 yards so i might be able to get a shot with my compound. while joe smoe sits in a tree with a scoped xbow and not have to worry about anything other then pulling the trigger once the deer is within range. however i am not agaist xbows i said it once and i'll say it again they should have their own season or be used during rifle season.

by the way i know a lot of people who are not good shots with compound bows so it isn't as easy as you may "think"
Old 03-22-2005, 07:04 PM

A bow is as accurate as the shooter! PERIOD!!! If I made an honest effort to shoot long range with my recurve I could extend the yardage.
Uh .............. no, absolutely, 100% inaccurate. Did you notice you said "honest effort" ? IN other words, you shoot your compound because its much easier to become accurate with. C'mon, you've already said it in so many words, why not just admit it ?

The compound bow for archery is like steroids for baseball players. Roger Maris and Howard Hill are rolling in their graves watching the steroid McGuires and compound shooting Chuck Adams
Old 03-22-2005, 07:55 PM

Actually, I can shoot that good. I mean, duh, you draw, put the pin on the target, squeeze the trigger ......... not really a whole lot to it, is there ?

My father in law, never shot a bow, shot as well as I did. My co-worker, the same. Compound are simple to shoot, they really are. Gee, not unlike a crossbow
In my opinion, if what you said above was true we wouldn't be having this argument and everyone that owns or aspires to own a crossbow would have no reason to buy one. They would already own a compound, because it sooo simple.

I see posts here all the time that prove archery is not that simple. There was a thread here not so long ago that asked members to critique others archery form; Threads asking how to properly tune your bow; Threads asking how long it takes to become proficient enough with a compound or traditional bow to be able to hunt ethically; Threads that talk about how to build stamina to pull more poundage. It’s not that simple, I know from experience. I have worked to become a proficient archer, even though I was born with the ability to pull a trigger.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:02 PM

In my opinion, if what you said above was true we wouldn't be having this argument and everyone that owns or aspires to own a crossbow would have no reason to buy one. They would already own a compound, because it sooo simple.
Its simple really.

Choice. Some people in Arkansas shoot compounds, some crossbows, some recurves and some longbows. IN Ohio its the same thing. It'll be the same in every state that continues to allow them in general archery season.

And yes, everyone I've ever had shoot my compounds could shoot them very good right off the bat.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uh .............. no, absolutely, 100% inaccurate. Did you notice you said "honest effort" ? IN other words, you shoot your compound because its much easier to become accurate with.
O.K. if you say so? I just love your "in other words".
Dont you mean in your words?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. That is , if you can agree to that?
Guess you cant even do that huh?

Quick Reply: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.