Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stands

Old 03-09-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Tree Stands

This may not be the place to do this but I have to try. I have excepted the fact that hunting with a bow from a tree stand is a plus. So has anyone here had to get over a strong fear of heights? If you have cracked this problem please let me know how you did it. Thank you.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree Stands

Hi Davis,welcome aboard

My friend was in the same predicament a couple years back and he is now hunting out of tree stands placed at 20 feet.He knew it would be an advantage to hunt from trees so we placed a stand in his yard about 6 feet up,put on his body harness and sat there and shot at the deer target as I retrieved his arrows.Everyday other day we would place his stand 1 foot higher and he wouldent even notice the difference.Eventually he got to 18-20 feet and feels its his max at those heights.
I would also reccomend buying a climber.Place it in the tree and have it sitting ground height,as you feel comfortable,raise it up a foot at a time.Please wear your safety harness at all times.In the back of your mind you will also feel more comfy knowing your also tied to the tree.
Good luck and take your time,lots of time before next season and let us know how you are making out
Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 PM

I couldn't even get 6 feet up at first. Now I can get up 20 with ease. I would recommend a good, stable climber like a Summit Viper. I couldn't climb up a tree without my safety harness. I would be too scared.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a climber that allows you to be attached all the way up. Or summit sells a rope system that allows you to be attached while climbing your ladder. Using these methods it will gurantee that you never fall as long as you connect your harness at the base of the tree. If your guranteed not to fall then what is there to be afraid of? Of course that's easy for me to say, because I've never been afraid of heights. I climbed 70 feet in my climber once just for fun.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:38 PM

Thank you all for the help. 70 feet up wow!!! I'll be happy if I can get comfortable with 12 or 15. The Viper is the stand that I am looking at and I have plenty of large pines right out my front door so I will give it a try. thank you all again. One more question if I may, is there a standard height that most of you guys hunt from?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:41 PM

I climbed 70 feet in my climber once just for fun.
Now that is nuts!!!! I usually wuss out at about 35 feet
Old 03-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

One more question if I may, is there a standard height that most of you guys hunt from
Most people will average from 16-20 feet,more then enough
Old 03-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most people will average from 16-20 feet,more then enough
very true statement. I have a buddy that wont hunt from a tree unless you need a rock climbing system to get into it. He refuses to hunt unless he's up at least 30ft. I kept telling him that it was unnecessary. He didn't believe me until we had both killed the same amount of deer at the end of the year. 1 of those, i set my viper up 2 feet off the ground cuz I like them at eye level. good luck
Old 03-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the same problem, I do not like heights, I hunt from a ladder stand. I picked one up at Fleetfarm that was 16 feet I think. I could not hunt out of it when I had all of the sections of the ladder up, I just took one out, and it was at about 12 feet. I still did not feel comfy at 12 feet, so I took one of the sections and cut it in half. I now have 5 ladder stands, with the shortest one set at about 9 feet, and the tallest one at about 12 feet. I will agree that you will probably get more shot chances the higher you go, but there is no sence in being that high, if you cant even meke a shot becouse you are shaking too bad.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:14 PM

This sure is a great forum. I thank you all for the hints and I am very happy to hear that I do not need to get way up there. I should be ready to order my stand soon so I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks all!!!
Davis

Quick Reply: Tree Stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.