Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need a little Hog help >

Need a little Hog help

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need a little Hog help

Old 09-12-2002, 02:40 AM

Default Need a little Hog help

Shot placement question. Shot two hogs last year with my bow lost one got the other. The one I lost, I shot standing broadside at 15yds and hit it behind the front shoulder. What seemed to me to be a perfect shot on a deer did very poor on this hog. The one I found I shot between the front shoulders missing the spine. It only went 50yds.
Last year was the first time we have seen hogs on our lease during bow season but this year they are everywhere. We have a photo of one that is huge approx 300 to 400 pounds. It is apparent that we will get some more shots this year.
I am shooting a pretty fast bow (Mathews ultra two) with a heavy carbon arrow (450gr @ 279fps) and did not get a pass through. The brodheads I used were the rocket hammerhead 2in cut 100gr on the one I killed and the rocket steelhead 1in cut 100gr on the one I lost. I purchased the steelheads just for hogs thinking it would penetrate better. I have tried fixed blade broadheads, but have consistency problems with them.
I was unaware of the armor plating protecting their ribs, what is that cartilage? After cleaning the second one I figured that a broadside shot may not be the way to go. I do not know anyone who bow hunts hogs and I could use some advice on making a good shot.

Thanks,
Wayne B.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:18 AM

Default RE: Need a little Hog help

On the big boars, the shield is extremely tough. If you can get a quartering away shot, and sneak your arrow in behind the last rib--heading forward toward the opposite front shoulder, you can miss the shield.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:30 AM

I have always took broadside or quartering away shots with no problem.mo hogs do not have enought shield to worry about.if it is a big boar,then you will deffiently need a quartering away shot.
Other than the shield on a BIG boar,a hog vitals are just like a deer.the shield is a cartlidge that boars have to protect them from other boars tusk.it is tough,but should be no problem with a good sharp broadhead.
If you are shooting mechinals,make sure you have enough KE to do the job. try for the quarting away,or just a little behind the shoulder.

hope you get a shot at that big one,send pic's. GOOD LUCK !!

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:17 AM

Do the sows have armor plating to or just the boars? I did kill the first one I shot but it was found on a neighboring lease and had traveled a good distance.

Wayne B.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:26 PM

check out the Golden Key Deadhead 6 blade! That is a hog killer if I ever saw one!
Old 09-12-2002, 08:01 PM

your eqipment is just fine!!!! aim lower!!! hogs vitals are lower then deer, look for elbow on hog take broadside shot, aim 1-2 inchs behind elbow this is where heart and lungs are!!! heart is almost on breastplate. hogs are so so tough critters..from what you have stated you are doing nothing wrong just keep after them!!!
Old 09-13-2002, 06:18 AM

Has anyone here made a pass thru shot on a big hog? If so what equipment were you using?
This hog pic here was taken last week (with a Highlander Digital Camera) where we hunt. Do you think a pass thru shot is possible with this hog?

Mathews Ultra2

Edited by - Kaos on 09/13/2002 07:21:31
Old 09-13-2002, 08:11 AM
Spike

The hog invasion is what brought me back to 2 bladed heads. I use the magnus 100 grainer on 2115 shafts and have so far gotten excellent results. Your aiming point should be the center of the lower half of the hogs chest and always wait an hour for the follow up.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:45 PM

Will a two bladed broadhead like a steel force, zwickey or magnus fly straight as a mechanical broadhead? A friend suggested that I use his old B-52 and said that it would fly like a field tip. But in the next breath told me that he uses a mechanical now and offered to give me his old B-52’s.
I used to shoot Muzzy’s and killed several deer with them but they were inconsistent with the fast arrow speed that I am shooting. Is there any fixed blade broadheads that will fly consistent with fast arrow speeds, without a lot of time spent tuning each arrow?
Have yall seen the Tomahawk broadhead? $80.00 dollars for three. They claim it will fly like a field tip. Boy it would hurt to loose one of them!!!!!!!!

Wayne B.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:52 AM

One thing for sure, I'd stay away from 2" cut broadhead period!! I've shot a few hogs with a rifle and they are VERY resilient animals.

It sounds like you have plenty of KE (77 ft-lbs) to push a mechanical, but from what 5shot has done, I wouldn't use more than a 1 1/4" or so mechanical on anything but turkeys.

Also, in my experience a pass through on a pig would be pretty important. Their skin has a tendancy to close up the hole, therefore not leaving much of a blood trail. Two holes will bleed better than one!

Good luck, let us see some pix when you get one!