Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

multiple bows

Old 03-11-2005, 07:46 AM

Default multiple bows

One of my hunting buddies just bought a Switchback, upgrading from an LX. He bought a Blackmax last fall to use as an "out west" bow. Another buddy is also thinking about buying a Blackmax for the same reason. He has an Outback as his primary bow. I understand having a back-up bow in case of an emergency but I think they're gloing a little crazy. Neither one of them is hurting for money so that's not a huge issue. I've been shooting the same Matthews Featherlight for the past 4 years and I'm getting to the point that I shoot so well with it that I would have a hard time letting go. I've never shot another bow along with the Featherlight so I'm wondering, can you shoot two bows consistently? If you shoot one better doesn't it make sense to stick with it? Are there other people out there that shoot different hunting bows for different situations? I don't have the money so I don't have the problem, just wondering what you all think.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:57 AM

Default RE: multiple bows

Guys and bows and tree stands are like women and shoes. Neither can have too many.

If I had the money I'd like to add a PSE Primos to my collection. It would a selfish purchase though with a wife and two young boys at home, considering a have a perfectly good bow as it is.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes I think I 'confuse' myself--I shoot six different bows depending on the circumstances and mood.
Sore muscles, less poundage, 3D up the poundage, etc.
Takes a few warm up shots when changing from one to the other, but once the peep, nock, etc, is configured almost the same, the bow do what they're asked.
Sometimes it just dosn't go right [:@]---then, like the change in the wind, the situation suddenly improves.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:45 PM

I have three bows right now, my hunting bow an old compound i shoot fingers with and an old recurve to play with and its not real hard to switch it just takes a little gettin used to and when huntin season comes up i only shoot my hunting bow to get into the 'groove'
Old 03-11-2005, 01:00 PM

Just one for me. Though, if I were not so tight, I would like to add a Hoyt Havoctec and one of the Reflex bows. Also, the renegade bow with the 9 inch brace, I would like to try that baby out. I like to spend all my extra money on stands. I currently have 8 lock ons and sticks and 3 climbers.[8D]
Old 03-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe theres 7 hangin down in the shop, and just picked up an old 6 wheel drive Bear that I might set up for fingers.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have a tough enough time keeping one zeroed in. I have an LX and do shoot quite a bit but I think I would confuse myself by adding a second bow.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

right now have a martin cougarmag and just purchased an xtec my first hoyt.just sold a martin razor that i never shot.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Many people have more than one gun for hunting I don't think it is anything different for someone to have more than one bow. Good recurve bows hold their value and I think the compounds of today will do the same. There is to much attachment to them not to be valuable later on.