Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Q2 XL string noise >

Q2 XL string noise

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Q2 XL string noise

Old 09-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Q2 XL string noise

I just picked up my Q2XL and shot it for the 1st time yesterday. I had several little problems ,peep site turning, nock point too high,etc. nothing big yet accept a loud twang! Kinda like a bass fiddle being strumed, and that was with string leaches.
other than the string the bow sounds fairly quiet. I had a second set of leaches put on the cables but haven't tryed it out sence.
Any other Q2XL users deal with this? Is the string length the cause or is it the zebera twist string? I've also considered cat wiskers instead of leaches. Any suggestions? thanks

Old 09-11-2002, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Q2 XL string noise

Sounds like you've had it pretty good on the set up. I've tuned on a bow for weeks to get it dialed in right. As far as the twang, have you let someone else shoot the bow while you stand down range to see how it sounds from there? Here's how we do it. We set up a target near a big tree. The shooter is 20 yards from the target. The tree is about 10 yards from the target and about 10 yards to either side of the line of fire. You stand behind the tree while your buddy shoots the bow. Here you can tell exactly what the deer will hear. I've found alot of times a noise you're hearing while shooting can't be heard from the deers point of view.
As for the string leaches, they are as good if not better than any string silencer IMO. The limb savers are also money well spent. If you don't already have them buy some.
I shot my buddy's Q2 (not an XL) the other day. I did notice a little string noise while shooting it but down range all you could hear was the wind from the arrow.
Good Luck!!
Old 09-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I'll give that a try. I hope the leaches on the cables will help some I heard from some one that the main reason Mathews went with the new string supperssors was due to Zebera twist string noise. We'll see what I can do , so far I'm a little dissapointed with the ammount of noise this bow makes.

Old 09-12-2002, 09:58 PM

The first time I shot my Zebra-stringed MQ-32 without any string silencers the noise was so loud that it knocked the $600 hat right off my head. Something about those Zebra strings is noisy. Don't know why. I am going to put a set of Winners Choice on after the early season ends but I heard that they are noisy also. I like cat whiskers on my strings since they last much longer than the leaches. An improved leach is on the market now but I haven't tried them.

Ballistictip is right. When you shoot, you are just inches away from the noise source. Stand back a ways while someone else shoots your bow and you might be surprized how quiet it is. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2002, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

With Cat's Whiskers, my FX was quiet. But I added Sim's products; the Sim's Limbsavers and all three modules of their Modular Stabilizer. These items not only improved what noise there was, cut bow shock and it also tightened up my groups significantly.

Today I ordered the Quicktune 4000 Drop Away Rest that I think will improve it even more . . . [after hunting season though].

Bowhunter
Old 09-13-2002, 07:27 AM

I bought a matthews Q2XL this year. And shot it without string silencers and it had a twang to it, but resolved it with cat whiskers. Hey JimBow whats your set up. What type of stabilyzer do you have, and also what harmonic dampeners do you have in your Q2XL. What size arrow and whats your poundage?
Old 09-13-2002, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I fired it yesterday and the noise is alot less. I was supprised to hear the diffrence the leaches made on my cables. the only worry I have is how long they will last. I picked up the new kevlar reinforced leaches, as soon as the pro shop let the press down one of the leaches instantly fell in two. I looked for the kevlar and only saw tiny fibers thinner than dust particles that may or may not be kevlar.
The bow was dead on at 30 yds before any adjustments. I am experimenting with a new Muzzy Zero effect and am impressed. Very easy to tune and set up even though it looked complicated at first.

As for the bow sound still some twang less than before though. I'll have to hear it fired from a distance to judge it better. Jim

Old 09-13-2002, 12:15 PM

When I first bought my Q2 XL my local proshop installed cat whiskers, conventional limbs savers and "stick on" miniature limb savers to my quiver. In combination with a doinker stabilizer - my bow is extremely quiet. Strumming my string identified a twanging noise coming from my Mathews quiver - the stick on miniature limbsavers took care of this problem. The point I'm making here is to consider all of your accessories as a potential source for noise.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:23 PM

Jim,

I also shoot the XL. You might consider adding a Sims Enhancer 2000 Stabilizer to the front and/or Sims Limbsaver Modules to the rear Stabilizer hole (facing you). These modules help and I also like the way they counter balance my rig. I also added string leeches to my Winners Choice string. My Q2XL is now deadly quiet!

One final thought, if your cam gets too far out of time you will notice an increase in string noise as well.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guy's just some info on my bow, I have a donker stablizer, limbsavers, and string leaches. one thing Illini said has me thinking. That is the timing issue. I have noticed some slight cork screwing on some of my arrows. Perhaps the timing is off, so here's my next question. How would I check this? I asked the dealer to look into it and he said you don't need to time a single cam bow. I know he was lying to me because he was in a hurry for some reason. I've seen him check timing on single cams before, including my FX.
Any info on timing would be appreciated. Jim

Edited by - JimBow on 09/14/2002 10:18:48

Quick Reply: Q2 XL string noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.