HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I made a BIG mistake (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/93118-i-made-big-mistake.html)

zak123 03-07-2005 06:21 PM

I made a BIG mistake

As many of you guys know I ruined my PSE bow. I contacted Cabela's and asked them what to do. They said to ship the bow to their Customer Returns Department. I talked to a few guys on this board to see what I should do. I let it out of the press too fast, and it blew up.

I asked what I should say, and they said to tell them that the string snapped. I told them that and shipped it to them. I only expected them to look over the bow and replace the cam. I contacted them today and asked if they received my bow. They said they got it, but they could not replace it. They told me that they refunded my money. They just gave me $310 for MY mistake. I feel really bad. I didn't think it would turn out this way. I don't want to go to them and said I lied, but I don't want to just take the money. If I do keep the money, I will buy the majority of my stuff from Cabela's to give them their money back. What should I do?

bwhunter501 03-07-2005 06:29 PM

RE: I made a BIG mistake

I think you should just keep the money and buy a new bow, if i were you i wouldnt be complainin. save your money and get a mathews[8D]

zak123 03-07-2005 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: bwhunter501

save your money and get a mathews[8D]
Nah, I don't just want to waste it.

PSE jake 03-07-2005 07:23 PM

Well it prolly was our fault...But thats life. I'd invest it in another bow at the store to relieve some guilt. Once you buy a new PSE, you'll forget all your troubles. :)

zak123 03-07-2005 07:28 PM

I would get a Bowtech Allegiance though.

NewbHunter 03-07-2005 07:31 PM

Well i think i just came up with an idea that will solve the problem. Call back Cableas and tell them they shipped the refund to the wrong credit card and send the refund to me. :D I will take all the guilt without a problem. Lol J.k

Louis

PSE jake 03-07-2005 07:32 PM

idk if Cabelas carrys Bowtech...where you gonna get a new bow at Cabelas or somewhere else?

zak123 03-07-2005 07:35 PM

I was going to shop at a Pro Shop.

Fieldmouse 03-07-2005 07:44 PM

Feeling guilty. Feeling guilty is when you give a clerk 5 dollars and get change for a 20. Then you wonder if you should tell your wife or not.

Serious Zak. I was hoping this post was going to include your truck w/38 mudders stuck up to the frame in some of that fine Ms mud I saw last week. Please go out and get it stuck like that and edit this post.

Thank you.:D

aeroslinger 03-07-2005 07:45 PM

Zak, that's a tough call. The honest thing to do would be to call customer service and explain the truth and take your chances. They may refund the money anyway, replace the bow, or send you back the pieces. That's a chance you would have to take but the honest way out and probably the one I would tell my own son to do. Ethics are not just about taking a bad shot or hunting land without permission. The next best thing would to be buy another PSE. PSE makes good equipment and it sounds like they back their products, which goes a long way with me. Good luck.

TerryM 03-07-2005 07:53 PM

I don't want to go to them and said I lied, but I don't want to just take the money. If I do keep the money, I will buy the majority of my stuff from Cabela's to give them their money back. What should I do?
If you feel bad ( understandably) spend the refund at Cabelas even if not on a bow. But realize that a company like Cabelas is probably the biggest account for PSE and they take back anything from Cabelas no questions asked. Thats how we treat our biggest account ( different industry but same concept). Sure we eat some but in the big picture its worth it. Cabelas will not lose on this believe me. They can hand PSE a box of parts and still get full credit, thats the retail/wholesale process. What this tells me is that Cabelas is a darn good place to buy from. I have purchased from them in the past and will do so again.

btomlin 03-07-2005 07:57 PM

If you're feeling guilty, that's good. Means you have character and know what YOU need to do for yourself. You don't have to do what anyone tell you.

You prob. should have dealt with PSE. I have heard they have excellent CS.

I dropped my Q2 in my driveway one time in a soft case. Took it inside and noticed the cam had 1 edge of track smashed.

Called Mathews CS and told the that I dropped it in my driveway in the case and needed info on purchasing a new cam...to my suprise the person said "thanks for the truth"..we'll send a cam to the nearest dealer free of charge...I about crapped my pants.

nubo 03-07-2005 07:58 PM

Zak!

In this case I'd suck it up and forget it .I wouldn't feel too guilty about this P.S. E. is a big manufacturer and 310.00 is nothing to them .Just be glad you got something in return for your own mistake ,most time's these thing's don't turn out this way.
If I can help you out and make you feel better .You can buy the bow that you really want now with some added cash of course .If this was the other way around do you think they would feel bad . The money's better in your pocket than theirs.
nubo

zak123 03-07-2005 08:02 PM

I don't know. I will probably contact them back and tell them the truth. I will see what happens from there.

kodiak41226 03-07-2005 09:24 PM

I wouldn't feel guilty at all. Cabelas doesn't seem to care for their employees all that much, especially considering the profits they reap from their hard work. I would take every opportunity to get over on Cabelas.

(Sorry, I have a buddy that works there and I have to listen to him complain about it constantly.)

zak123 03-07-2005 09:41 PM

I'm going to talk to them tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

I was pressing my bow to take the string off and check it. I was going to try and sell it. I let it out too fast and it blew up. My dad thought I did that to get a new bow. He told me to call the company up and tell them what happened. I just said that the string broke at full draw. I figured this would be a good excuse to screw myself out of a new bow. I knew it was my mistake, and I shouldn't get anything out of it. When I contacted them today I thought that they would just say, "Sorry, you should have checked the string before you shot." I would have been happy with that. Instead they refunded my money. I do not feel like I deserve the money in this way. When they hear the real story, then I will see.

gutshot 03-08-2005 06:50 AM

Zak you seem like a honest guy, forget all of this talk about screwing the company because they deserve it. You know what the right thing to do is now all you have to do is suck it up and do it. Good Luck, Man!

DavidPaul007 03-08-2005 06:53 AM

Well, obviously you should've told them the truth from the get go. I think you realize that now. In your situation I'd probably keep the money and buy at least the accessories for the bow from Cabela's and learn my lesson. However, the best course of action is probably to eat crow and tell them the truth.

hatchet jack 03-08-2005 07:05 AM

It's a dog eat dog world. Go to church on Sunday and say a prayer for yourself. KEEP THE MONEY:D

savedbygrace 03-08-2005 07:05 AM

Just do the RIGHT thing. You know in your heart what that is.

Champlain Islander 03-08-2005 07:10 AM

Zak,
You seem like a person with a conscience based on your previous posts. Take the high road and you will always know that you did the right thing. It doesn't matter how Cabelas treats their employees to you. The only thing that should matter is how you act in this situation. You can only control what you do and hopefully it will be an inspiration for others. As far as the change for a 5 and you get back change for a 20. Only 1 thing to do is point out to the clerk what they did and make it right. What goes around comes around.

Talondale 03-08-2005 07:16 AM

The situational ethics in these posts scare me. So you (generic you) are willing to sell your integrity for $300? I wonder if that's close to 30 pieces of silver? Zack, I'm interested to hear how this turned out. I respect your willingness to be honest.

TeeJay 03-08-2005 07:27 AM

Call them up, or go on down there and explain what happened. Let them decide, a clear concious is worth $300 isnt it? Think about it. I just bought a bow of the net, I hope he doesnt screw me over because i live in a bigger house, or drive a more expencive truck. That is kind of the mentality on here isnt it?

adams 03-08-2005 08:11 AM

Well Zak,

You lied when you sent it to them so wasn't it your intension to "pull one over" on them? Not to chastise you but this is exactly what you set out to do. It's good that you feel some guilt, it means you've got a conscience.

If you feel you must make it better you could fess up (:eek:) or you could spend the money at cabelas and afford them the opportunity to earn back their profits (And I believe that their customer service department has earned it), or you can chalk it up to a life experience and store this little tid bit of info of how if feels to come by something dishonestly and make an honest effort to not do it in the future.

IMO what's done is done. Cabelas has showed their willingness to go the extra mile for a customer and their refunding you will not break their bank. As a result you'll likely be a loyal customer and continue to shop with them and that's why they took care of you. IMO chalk it up to life experience and be a better person in the future because of it. ;)

Fieldmouse 03-08-2005 09:54 AM

As far as the change for a 5 and you get back change for a 20. Only 1 thing to do is point out to the clerk what they did and make it right. What goes around comes around.

It was a joke. I knew someone would need an explaination.

bushmaster_5bko 03-08-2005 12:51 PM

I'd say keep the money and get a new bow from cabelas

datamax 03-08-2005 01:55 PM

Cabelas prides themselves on their Customer Service - they gained a customer for life with them backing a bow even though it was your fault, didn't they ? Kudo's to Cabelas, remember how they treated you and in the long run, its in their favor !

Dubbya 03-08-2005 04:26 PM

Just do the RIGHT thing. You know in your heart what that is.
great advice. The issue here isn't that PSE is a huge company and they can handle it, or that cabelas treats their employees poorly, that's all beside the point. do what you need to do to make yourself feel right about the deal. A lot more times than not, the truth is appreciated and often gets results. good luck man.

zak123 03-08-2005 04:43 PM

I am going to keep the money. I talked to one of the people and asked for the number to the refunds department. They said they did not have one. I then told her about my lie. She said to keep the money. I told her that it was my fault, and if the people knew that, do you think they would refund my money. She said that they look for defects from the manufacturer. I kept telling her it was my fault, but she kept telling me that they had another reason to send me the money. I feel much better inside. I am not going to buy a new bow with that money. I am probably going to buy something for my truck from them. Thanks for all of your opinions guys.

ShadowAce 03-08-2005 08:58 PM

What did you think they were going to do when you didn't tell them the truth in the first place? You need to be prepared for the consequences of your actions. What is the difference between getting the cash or a replacement bow from them anyway? Keep the money, buy a new bow, and learn from this experience. They probably know it was your fault anyway. Big ups to Cabelas for sending you the cash!!

BGfisher 03-08-2005 09:37 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. That's their way of showing good customer service. Doing business this way ensures your loyalty. And the money doesn't come out of their pocket anyway. They will ship the bow back to PSE as defective, who will in return ship them a new bow.

Now, take the $310 and get a good bow. Something in the Martin line. You'll be getting a much better quality bow for your money.

BGfisher 03-08-2005 09:38 PM

Or a Parker Hunter Mag. Much better than PSE.

adams 03-09-2005 07:07 AM

Much better than PSE.
Careful, Them are fighting words.[:@]:D

DavidPaul007 03-09-2005 07:33 AM

I am not going to buy a new bow with that money. I am probably going to buy something for my truck from them. Thanks for all of your opinions guys.
Now wait a second...you're NOT going to buy a new bow? What has gotten into your head Zak!?

kshunter 03-09-2005 07:50 AM

I'd just go buy a new bow at Cabelas.. Good luck

B-TechRapture 03-09-2005 08:28 AM

Use that money to buy a bowtech. Trust "taking" Cabelas for 300 dollars is not going to hurt anyone there one bit, so don't feel like you ripped them off, instead feel grateful that your mistake didn't cost you money or worse yet injury. GOOD LUCK!

Jollyarcher 03-09-2005 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: zak123

I don't know. I will probably contact them back and tell them the truth. I will see what happens from there.
Good choice. I've had a large number of bows in and out of the bow press and have yet to see any receive serious damage as a result of rapid limb pressure release. I'd bet there's a good chance that your particular bow may have had a hidden flaw from the go. Do the right thing and tell the truth. You're a better person for it. Ask yourself, do I enjoy being lied to? You'll have your answer.

Even if you "patronize" Cabela's with the ill gotten return money, you're still receiving another product at their expense. [&o]:eek: That's crap.

zak123 03-09-2005 02:22 PM

I am not going to buy a new bow with that $310. I am going to buy it with my other saved up money. I am going to buy the best bow out there, a Bowtech!

bwhunter501 03-09-2005 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: zak123

I am not going to buy a new bow with that $310. I am going to buy it with my other saved up money. I am going to buy the best bow out there, a Bowtech!
O you must have made a typo or something right? mathews***[8D]

zak123 03-09-2005 02:54 PM

No, you have the typo. You left out two *'s. That way it would read "Mathew's sucks"!