Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Having trouble asking permission to hunt. >

Having trouble asking permission to hunt.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Having trouble asking permission to hunt.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Having trouble asking permission to hunt.

I have been looking for some private land to hunt here in or around Marion, IN. But I can't seem to build up any nerve and don't know how to go about it. It just seems like alot to ask someone, to let a stranger come on to your land with a weapon (granted a bow but still a weapon). Just wondering if anyone has any tips. I want to do it the right way, be polite and not intrude. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 04:40 PM

Default RE: Having trouble asking permission to hunt.

varmint al had a great way on his web page. and i have done it his way and it works great. this is what i do

-dress nice and be polite
-tell them what you want to do and how it will help them out, ask if they need anything done that you could do to help out around their house. ex. chop wood
-give them a card with your name and number on it. if they say no at first they may for some reason decide to allow you later on. this way they know how to get ahold of you.
-thank them for whatever decision they make
-if they allow you to hunt their make sure they don't have to regret it!!! make sure when you leave their land it is how it was when you came.
-be friendly with them, ask them if they would like some of the meat. wave and say hello when ever you can

when you do these things it means a lot to people and it has always worked for me good luck
Old 03-06-2005, 04:50 PM

His ways should work really well, and another thing make sure you dont have any wepons or anything like that with you, i guess thats just common sense but i thought i would add that. BTW my freind got a real nice doe out of marion last season, but i hunt up in huntington. Good luck.

BB90
Old 03-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with killer243's comments. One thing I like to do is write my name, vehicle, license number and home phone number on a 3x5 card and explain that should he allow you to hunt, this is what I drive and how to contact me should the situation change. This will help build a good working relationship and trust with the landowner. When he gives you permission, be sure you remember ALL the rules he demands of you.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few things that work for me.

Remember all they can say is no.

I start now asking for permission to hunt woodchucks ( not saying a word about deer) , then in mid summer I ask for permission to hunt deer .

I wear no camo ( not even a hat)
I dress nice ,not like a big shot or a bumb
If from farmers I wear a local seed company hat.

I never ask in the spring planting or fall harvest rush ( unless the feilds are to wet to work)
I try to ask 9:30-11:00 AM or 1:30-4:30 PM ,never at lunch or supper time.
I stop and ask any time I see some one doing yard or garden work.

I carry permission slips printed out. and give them a coppy with my name, address ,phone # ,truck color and plate #

I tell them I will follow any rules they have ( time of day,day of week and what I can shoot)
I take down notes on rules in a 3 ring note book ,with maps ,permission slips Ect
I also say I will never drive in the feilds or down lanes when wet, ruts in the feild or lane = lose of permission
If you see trash pick it up even if it's not yours

If you get turned down smile and say "I am sorry that I bothered you"
Ask next year ,you never know
Old 03-06-2005, 06:18 PM

johnch,that was pretty good,you da mannow how about i fly you out to Maryland and you can do the dirty work for me bud.Of course i'll let you take first shot
Old 03-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

It all sounds like a wonderful and polite way to go about things. I might have to try them out this fall where we hunt. There's a jackpot field where all the deer hang out in the early am and early pm that I know will produce a mature opportunity. Thanks for all the tips.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:53 PM
dws

Its like anything else, the more you do it, the easier it gets. The worst thing they can do is say no. Once you get permission don't blow it by doing something you shouldn't be doing. Also a nice thing to do is give them a roll of summer sausage or a pack of chops if you get one.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

All of the suggestions sound great. I find my property through ordinary conversations. I scout areas the I want to hunt all the time. Sometimes just from the road other times just hiking around. I have a lot of potential areas to hunt. While in normal talking to people I always work in the deer being out of control and you would be amaved how many people hate the deer. They either have a problem or know someone who does. Then I point out how I can be a solution.

It's worked very well for me. I have many more places to hunt then I can get out. I choose the best spots and also work in new places. I'm currently trying to gain access to some property in Alabama, just because I've never hunted there.

Good luck and never be afraid to ask.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks for all of your ideas and tips. Sounds like I just need to man up and ask. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Having trouble asking permission to hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.