HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Am I the only one left...... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/92671-am-i-only-one-left.html)

nodog 03-04-2005 02:13 AM

RE: Am I the only one left......

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

No matter how big of a pain, the drag is a part of the hunt that I would miss if I didn't have. There is nothing like it! You have accomplished your goal, and the drag out always seems to be a time for me to reflect upon the whole experience and just soak up the rest of the deer hunting experience for the year!

I'm with you on this!! I look forward to the drag out no matter how hard. It capitalizes on the acheivement you've accomplished. It's the final step so to speak. Besides one of my hunting buddies is usually helping and we are both excited and sharing the details of the hunt while taking breaks and congratulating each other. It sometimes is hard work but its a great sense of accomplishment to what is usually a memorable hunt.
My kind of guys here!

It has nothing to do with not using your brain. The drag out is a proud moment I wouldn't give up for anything.

I think your making his point. It also sounds like your looking down on people who don't share your views. That's a different kind of pride.

nodog 03-04-2005 02:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

I packed out 8 different bulls two years ago. They are a little big for dragging. The closest to the trailhead was 4 miles. I have packed meat out and immediatly made a return trip back in for another load. There is an insurmountable sense of accomplishment at the end of it all. I have spent two days packing meat when I was elk hunting alone and made kills. My favorite is packing out in the dark and laying on the hillside looking at the stars and wondering how in the heck I got to the spot I am sitting, only to get up and drudge on. The hunt starts long before the kill and doesn't end til long after.

I think if you make this a little bit longer you could get it published in any hunting magazine. You tell it in a way that makes me feel like I'm there.

throwingStarr 03-04-2005 03:25 AM

i use a mag hauler,,after dragging a few up out of draws and or canyons and consuming several beverages of my choice i went with game carts,, i sat down and thought screw that.

Rick James 03-04-2005 06:08 AM

I agree totally. I wouldn't say I enjoy the drag out if it is excessively long, but I certainly don't mind it. It many times allows me to hunt spots others won't go to because they don't want to drag from there. The spot I hunt in Vermont has foot only access on about 900 acres bordered by over 2000 of state land, and most of the hunters complain about no vehicles or 4 wheelers so they stay close to the road. It allows me some great hunting because I am the only one that will hike a mile in and isn't afraid to dot he grunt work of getting one out. This year I dragged 2 out of there, a huge doe on the second day of archery season (hot as hell that day), and another buck on the first day of rifle. When I brought my girlfriends dad out to my stand the day after I shot my rifle buck, he was amazed that I dragged one that far and told me he wouldn't be able to, I told him to call me on his cell if he shot one and I would come drag it for him.

The part I like of dragging is when you have your buck and all the lazy hunters are sitting around their trucks talking as you come down the lane with a buck behind you.............;)

long_round_tip 03-04-2005 06:21 AM

Nothing like a mile long drag through the mountains of western Virignia back to the truck to get your heart pumping!! I LOVE IT!!!

:):):)

adams 03-04-2005 07:14 AM

Depending on the animal. For whitetails I wouldn't do it another way. For bigger game farther back in the woods it's a diffrent story. Try dragging a moose or a big bear out of the woods 1/2 mile or less in the case of the moose. It also may be necessary to quarter the animals so that it cools properly and save the quality of the meat.

Nope you said. Fall whitetail hunting I would dream of taking my animal from the wood any way other then

take him by the horns and tuff it out
!

buckeye 03-04-2005 07:25 AM

It also sounds like your looking down on people who don't share your views.
I hope your not serious. I don't care if someone drives a skid loader to pick up their deer.

I just want to see who else likes to do it the hard way:)

For those who have never dragged a deer out, try it this season you may enjoy that successful hunt a little bit more;)

Talondale 03-04-2005 07:27 AM

Sounds a little masochistic to me. Make it a real challenge and push the deer out. :D I've dragged and I've also used a four wheeler or truck. I guess I'm just too practical/pragmatic, I will use whatever method is easiest. Another concern I have is that dragging can mess the cape up. So in the interest of a beautiful mount I use vehicular assistance (yeah that's it).

Charlie P 03-04-2005 07:32 AM

After four back surgeries I get as much help as I can.

buckeye 03-04-2005 07:38 AM

Sounds a little masochistic to me. Make it a real challenge and push the deer out.
LOL I am 6' 185 pounds nothing macho here:D

BTW I am shooting 63 pounds draw weight. That should help get an idea of how macho I think I am ;)