Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 35000 rpm dremel for cutting carbons. >

35000 rpm dremel for cutting carbons.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

35000 rpm dremel for cutting carbons.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:18 AM

Default 35000 rpm dremel for cutting carbons.

have any of you used a 35000 rpm dremel to cut your carbons? I bought one and am building a jig for it. Most arrow saws run between 5-8000 rpm..Just wondered if 35000 would cut or melt my carbons..thanks for the input.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 35000 rpm dremel for cutting carbons.

If you decide not to use that one, you can pick up a saw from Harbor Freight for $20. Mine is on it's way now.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Is your Dremel a variable speed model ?

If it is then dial it down to the speed that works best . I'm no expert , but I've seen what speeds that high can do to soft steel . []
Old 03-02-2005, 10:39 AM

I have wondered the same thing. My Dremel is variable speed. I had a cut off saw but it quit working. I thought about taking the motor off and putting my dremel on there somehow. The little cut off discs should cut arrows but I don't know.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

I use the variable speed Dremel and have no problem cutting carbons. One thing that I found I have to do is first cut off an inch or two from the arrow before making my final cut. This is because the cutting disc is not very large and the Dremel unit itself can get in the way when there is too much shaft sticking out.

I turn my Dremel up all the way and never had a problem with melting. I've used this method on everything from carbon Express to Eastons.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bige1769

I thought about taking the motor off and putting my dremel on there somehow.

My son is always telling me to tell everyone while laughing that

"You should think this over". He gets such a kick out of it. He's 10.

I never thought I would have an occasion to use his words of wisdom but in your case...
Old 03-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DavidChesney

I use the variable speed Dremel and have no problem cutting carbons. One thing that I found I have to do is first cut off an inch or two from the arrow before making my final cut. This is because the cutting disc is not very large and the Dremel unit itself can get in the way when there is too much shaft sticking out.

I turn my Dremel up all the way and never had a problem with melting. I've used this method on everything from carbon Express to Eastons.
Ditto... including the pre-cut. I've found that is a must for the removal of material to allow the small disc to pass through the shaft without striking the body of the tool. I also have a niffty 1" wide belt sander, (not an arrow building tool), that works exceptionally well for squaring up the cut off end if need be.

35,000 rpm isn't needed, but I'd certainly wear some hand / eye protection if you choose to try it at that speed. Cut off discs can blow up quite violently and would likely cause injury to the operator or perhaps anyone standing nearby. A rheostat switch, (a dimmer for a light), could be wired in cheaply if your machine does not have a variable speed control. Something to ponder.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:19 PM

I read somewhere that it works fine if you dont have a saw but an arrow saw would be better. I would use the dremil tho.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:03 PM

I built a jig for my dremel and a jig for my arrow..cut 6 arrows earlier taday.It works great..
Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 PM

I switched from the Dremel to the Harbor Freight Cut-off saw. I had a hard time getting a square cut with the dremel. I was going to build a jig, but running down to Harbor Freight and dropping $20 on that saw was easier.

Quick Reply: 35000 rpm dremel for cutting carbons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.