Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Should states recognize other states’ licenses? >

Should states recognize other states’ licenses?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should states recognize other states’ licenses?

Old 09-10-2002, 04:44 PM

Default Should states recognize other states’ licenses?

This will be my first hunting season in New York. I was all excited about this season (my first away from Illinois)!!! I found an awesome bow-hunting club (Tri-Village Bow Hunters), and some nice state ground to hunt. Then I went to get my license. At this point, I was told I could gun hunt but could not bow hunt. Now, I have hunted bow and gun in Illinois for about 13 years and I was dumbfounded. I can use a firearm to hunt deer, but not a bow? So then I was told that to bow hunt I would need to take the bow-hunter safety course. Now don’t get me wrong, I am all for hunter education. But after 13 years? Granted, I may learn something, but that is beside the point.

The point I am trying to get across is that I am able to hunt with bow and gun in Illinois, but when I moved to New York I loose my bow-hunting privileges(until I take the course) . Should a state recognize another states hunting privileges?

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GB
Old 09-10-2002, 04:59 PM

Default RE: Should states recognize other states’ licenses?

I doubt if many would agree since states rights are a constitutional issue. I haven't hunted Colorado because they require a hunter safety course certificate and at 53 I refuse to take one. Most states have a cutoff year that waives this issue for those who have been breathing a while. Colorado sticks at 1948 birth date and I'm 1949 so I stay away. I still think each state needs to have control to keep big outfitters from politicking their way into tags. Good luck with the gun this year.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:10 PM

gleninAZ

My issue is not about the permit for hunting deer. It is that if you are able to hunt using a method in one state should other states recognize and accept that states qualification.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Banned

I would like for them to recgonize license, but with all the different cahnges in the laws it would be to hard for them to lewt you just go unless u understand all the laws of that state. If they could set up some kind of system where you could use your out of state license but still learn the laws that would be nice. But dont look forward to seein it happen anytime soon.

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
Old 09-10-2002, 05:23 PM

Another aspect to look at is why I can use a gun but not bow. I would think it would be the other way around or that I could not use either one.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

PIKE_DEER, it does seem ridiculous to allow gun but no bowhunting. If there's potential for disaster, the gun season seems more likely. Is there nowhere you can take the course?

Phil.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Most will honor the other states license if it has the same or stricter requirements for licensing. If Illinois doesn't have a bowhunter ed requirement they won't honor it. I just went through a month long fiasco to get my NY license and I've had a non-resident NY license for 25 years. They changed their system this year and haven't got all the bugs worked out of it. Can't you get in a course somewhere?

Old 09-10-2002, 07:13 PM

I signed up to take a course on Saturday the 14. I can’t just let a bow season go by. LOL To me it is just the logic behind it. I am sure that other people that have the opportunity to hunt other states encounter this. But, me being bull headed, it just doesn’t make much sense. I am all for state government, but sometimes things would be easier with a little federalization. Like in Illinois you need to have a firearms owner ID card to buy ammo, but if you are from out of state you don’t need anything. Just an example from my home state. Anyway, I am sure that we all would agree that it is good just to do what you need to do to get in the woods.

Thanks for all the posts and letting me vent. LOL
GB
Old 09-10-2002, 07:14 PM

Pike-No argument from me and I ain't movin' to NY. Come to Arizona and shoot at a big fat elk. Problem is usually too many people who don't know a deer from a dog that are making the laws. Sad but true.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I understand your rationing behind the 13 years you've put on bowhunting in Illinois, however I am a firm believer in the Bowhunter Education program regardless of the impact it has on a seasoned bowhunter. I wish the course was mandatory in everystate regardless of the experience of the archer. Everyone will learn a little something and I gasp at how many archers are out there that shouldn't be and don't have to take the course, it's frightening, I should know, I used to be one. I hadn't a clue when I started at age 15, now 20 seasons later I hope can teach someone from my mistakes. I took the class several years ago to hunt states that require it and for the experience it might offer. I'm glad I took the class and actually aided the class more than myself, however perhaps I made a statement to a newbie. I've hunted several states but am yet to hunt a state requiring the course I took.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.