Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 mathews and hoyt. so hard to draw >

mathews and hoyt. so hard to draw

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mathews and hoyt. so hard to draw

Old 02-27-2005, 07:45 AM

Default mathews and hoyt. so hard to draw

i was at a shoot friday and during the break i was checkin out some of the bows. and the new hoyts and mathews are so hard to draw back. my pse is only set on 60# but i no i can pull back 70.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: mathews and hoyt. so hard to draw

Feeling frisky today aae. Trying to start something aae. Alright, I'll bet you can't pull back 70. I think your chicken. Bauh bauh bauh (my best chicken noise).
Old 02-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'd be suprised what a difference 10 pounds makes. I was shooting 63 for awhile and cranked it up to 70 and couldn't do it.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:53 AM

i just havnt turned my bow up to 70 cause i dont get time to do it right the only time i get to go to shop is on fridays and im shootin there all night
Old 02-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

The new Hoyts and Mathews are some of the smoothest and easiest bows to draw ever made. If you struggled, you were simply pulling too much weight. A few pounds of draw weight makes a huge difference.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

What the heck do you want to jerk back 70 # for? Hunting something really thick skinned perhaps? If you're not a regular 70 # shooter, your 10 rings are likely to suffer. Not to mention those long, cold day sits on stand when the moment of truth arrives. I've not seen any whitetail yet that can't be passed through with 60 # of draw weight with a properly tuned arrow. Nope... not unless your bent on impressing the newbies, or maybe shooting Rhino's...
Old 02-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you think the new Mathews and Hoyts are hard to draw you better hit the weights a little harder!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive never noticed that. I have an old hoyt excel set at 72 lbs, no problem to draw or hold. I have a razor tech set at about the same, still no problem to draw or hold.

I have mine jacked up to the 70s because I shot lots of hogs from ranges of 10 yards to 60 yards. Hogs have some pretty thick skin. Other than that, 65 lbs should be plenty for most hunting.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot at 72# because that's what works best with my 60-80# bow. I can pull it easily. But I have found some bows that are hard to draw with less weight. So you aren't crazy.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The amount of energy you have to expend to draw back a bow is not simply a function of the peak weight but of the entire force/draw curve. A 60 pound peak bow with a 1.0 stored energy to peak ratio (on the low side) will of course require the archer to expend 60 ft/lbs of mechanical energy equivalent to pull it back. If that same 60 pound peak bow had a s.e.p. of 1.4 (relatively hard cam) it would require 40% more or 84 ft/lbs. Same peak weight but the 2nd bow would be much harder to draw. The 2nd bow would also throw an arrow much faster.

Quick Reply: mathews and hoyt. so hard to draw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.