Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 single pin for hunting >

single pin for hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

single pin for hunting

Old 02-24-2005, 09:59 AM

Default single pin for hunting

What do you all think about a single pin for hunting. So you run into problems when hunting? I know they are a favorite for 3D. I really like how bright they are compared to the 5 pin models out there.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: single pin for hunting

I use a single-adjustable pin all of the time. When hunting I lock it on 25 yards and it does the job for me.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer 2 pins for hunting.

I'll set one at about 20 yards, or whatever is the maximum range that means shooting less than 3" high mid range.
Then, the second one I'll set out at my maximum range (35 yds) or whatever distance makes the vertical gap between my pins about equal to the distance of a deer's verticle chest-to-back measurement when he's out at my maximum range.

That way using the 2 pins, I'm always able to gather some info about distance to the target.
I'll know he's either too far away, or where he is between my 2 marked yardages, or I can use my 20 yard pins when shooting at longer ranges to show me how high my arrow will be mid-range so I don't hit anything between me and the deer.

Hope that made some sense.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I like 1 fixed fiber optic pin set for dead on at 25 yds. I hunt thick transition woods and swamps and seldom will get a shot past 30 yds. I use a Mathews Ultra Mag at 70 pounds and arrows/ broadheads that equate to 7 grams per pound. Reasonably flat shooting so 1 pin does the job. I don't use a peep for hunting.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I used to use one pin on my older bow. I did fine with it, but I think I was actually doing more instinctive aiming than anything.

On my newer, old bow I have two pins I use. A 15 yard pin and a 20 yard pin. (my bow puts the 'arch' back into archery) I also have another pin that I don't use for shooting... it's not even in line with the others. I'm just too lazy to remove it. Besides, I never know when I might need an emergency toothpick or something.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 pin fixed
Old 02-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just one. I practice at all different ranges so I'm good at guessing where my pin should be. I grouped 3 arrows in a 4 inch circle at 40yds with a 20yd pin last year (Probably luck). My limit on deer is 30yds though.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a pendulum, I like to keep things as simple as possible.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

I use a single-adjustable pin all of the time. When hunting I lock it on 25 yards and it does the job for me.
An identical DITTO
Old 02-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

one fixed pin for me

Quick Reply: single pin for hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.